Does the Sequence Diverge Using Inequalities?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the conversation discusses whether the sequence $a_n=\frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+1}}+\frac{2}{\sqrt{n^2+2}}+...+\frac{n}{\sqrt{n^2+n}}$ converges, with one person suggesting the use of the inequality $\frac{n(n+1)}{2\sqrt{n^2+n}} \leq a_n \leq \frac{n(n+1)}{2\sqrt{n^2+1}}$ to prove that it diverges.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hey again! (Blush)
I have to check if the sequence $a_{n}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+1}}+\frac{2}{\sqrt{n^2+2}}+...+\frac{n}{\sqrt{n^2+n}}$ converges.I thought that:$$\frac{n^{2}(n+1)}{2\sqrt{n^2+n}} \leq a_{n} \leq \frac{n^{2}(n+1)}{2\sqrt{n^2+1}}$$ Because of the fact that:
$$\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{n^{2}(n+1)}{2\sqrt{n^2+n}}=\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{n^{2}(n+1)}{2\sqrt{n^2+1}}=\infty$$ I though that the sequence diverges.
Could you tell me if it is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hey again! (Blush)
I have to check if the sequence $a_{n}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+1}}+\frac{2}{\sqrt{n^2+2}}+...+\frac{n}{\sqrt{n^2+n}}$ converges.I thought that:$$\frac{n^{2}(n+1)}{2\sqrt{n^2+n}} \leq a_{n} \leq \frac{n^{2}(n+1)}{2\sqrt{n^2+1}}$$ Because of the fact that:
$$\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{n^{2}(n+1)}{2\sqrt{n^2+n}}=\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{n^{2}(n+1)}{2\sqrt{n^2+1}}=\infty$$ I though that the sequence diverges.
Could you tell me if it is right?
Right idea, but each time that you have written $n^2$ it ought to be just $n$ (not squared).

Opalg said:
Right idea, but each time that you have written $n^2$ it ought to be just $n$ (not squared).

Why?? Istn't $1+2+...+n=\frac{n(n+1)}{2}$ and we take for the left inequality $n$ times $\frac1{\sqrt{n^2+n}}$ and for the second $n$ times $\frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+1}}$ ??Or am I wrong?? (Thinking)

Last edited by a moderator:
evinda said:
Why?? Isn't $1+2+...+n=\frac{n(n+1)}{2}$ and we take for the left inequality $n$ times $\frac1{\sqrt{n^2+n}}$ and for the second $n$ times $\frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+1}}$ ?? Or am I wrong?? (Thinking)
Take it more slowly: $$\begin{aligned}a_{n} &=\frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+1}}+\frac{2}{\sqrt{n^2+2}}+ \ldots +\frac{n}{\sqrt{n^2+n}} \\ &\geqslant \frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+n}}+\frac{2}{\sqrt{n^2+n}}+ \ldots +\frac{n}{\sqrt{n^2+n}} \\ &= \frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+n}}(1+2+\ldots +n) = \frac{n(n+1)}{2\sqrt{n^2+n}}. \end{aligned}$$

Opalg said:
Take it more slowly: $$\begin{aligned}a_{n} &=\frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+1}}+\frac{2}{\sqrt{n^2+2}}+ \ldots +\frac{n}{\sqrt{n^2+n}} \\ &\geqslant \frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+n}}+\frac{2}{\sqrt{n^2+n}}+ \ldots +\frac{n}{\sqrt{n^2+n}} \\ &= \frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+n}}(1+2+\ldots +n) = \frac{n(n+1)}{2\sqrt{n^2+n}}. \end{aligned}$$

Ok..I understand...So,can I use the relation:
$$\frac{n(n+1)}{2\sqrt{n^2+n}} \leq a_{n} \leq \frac{n(n+1)}{2\sqrt{n^2+1}}$$ to conclude that the sequence diverges??

Related to Does the Sequence Diverge Using Inequalities?

1. What does it mean for a sequence to diverge?

When a sequence diverges, it means that the terms in the sequence do not approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases. In other words, the sequence either grows infinitely large or oscillates between values without settling on a specific value.

2. How can you determine if a sequence diverges?

There are a few different ways to determine if a sequence diverges. One method is to graph the sequence and see if it approaches a finite limit or if the graph shows a clear pattern of growth or oscillation. Another method is to use mathematical tests, such as the divergence test or the limit comparison test, to analyze the behavior of the sequence.

3. Can a sequence diverge to negative infinity?

Yes, a sequence can diverge to negative infinity if the terms in the sequence decrease without bound. This means that the values in the sequence become increasingly negative as the number of terms increases.

4. Is it possible for a sequence to converge and diverge at the same time?

No, a sequence cannot converge and diverge at the same time. The definition of convergence is that the terms in the sequence approach a finite limit, while the definition of divergence is that the terms do not approach a finite limit. Therefore, a sequence can only have one of these two behaviors.

5. What are some real-world applications of divergent sequences?

Divergent sequences have many applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, in physics, divergent sequences can model the behavior of energy levels in atoms or the position of a moving object as time approaches infinity. In economics, divergent sequences can be used to model the growth of a population or the value of a stock over time. In engineering, divergent sequences can be used to analyze the stability of a structure or the efficiency of a system.