Does the size of a magnet affect its range?

In summary: Infinitely small is not a word. A field never reaches zero, but the influence between two magnets does decrease as the distance between them increases.
danielhaish
I wandering if the size of magnet or if there is vacuum or not change the range of magnet

Physics news on Phys.org
And by the way i read that magnet influence each other imadatally so if the size does have influence on the size of range of the magnetic field is the field will change imadatally

What do you think?
What experiments might you perform to find the answers?

Likes vanhees71
danielhaish said:
And by the way i read that magnet influence each other imadatally
Where did you read this?

Likes vanhees71
I read in a local forum that the influence is imadatally but the sprading of the magnet failed is in the speed of light

DaveC426913 said:
What do you think?
What experiments might you perform to find the answers?
I maight connect tow magnet togher but what can i do for the vacoom efect and the check of the speed of the reaction

danielhaish said:
I read in a local forum that the influence is imadatally but the sprading of the magnet failed is in the speed of light
How can both of these be correct?
If changes in the magnetic field are constrained by the speed of light, how can one affect another immediately?

Likes vanhees71
It is possible becouse when tow magnet meat each other they craete new wave function so the faild doesn't spread ot just change

It follow pouli low

And also i am bew in this forum why did i got waring

danielhaish said:
... the faild doesn't spread ot just change
This is always the case.
By definition, there is always a field; it doesn't move. It is only changes in the field that propagate.Presumably you are typing on a cell phone? PF has standards of legibility. Take more care in typing.

I am typing on a phone is it worng?
So if i siwth the side of a magnet for exmple.there is tow magnet and before the siwthing they face each other north to north , and then one of them is being swith does the magnet that were siwthed will imadatally start pulling the other magnet?
and olso if i add another magnet those the size of the range will be change otumatclly

danielhaish said:
I am typing on a phone is it worng?
THere is nothing wrong with typing on a phone, but your spelling is SO awful that it is very annoying, even to the point of making it hard to figure out what you are saying.

Likes ClintSniper
Sory then i will try to change it at home and
One more question is it means that every tow magnet in the word have small influence on each other

danielhaish said:
Sory then i will try to change it at home and
One more question is it means that every tow magnet in the word have small influence on each other
I assume you mean TWO magnets, not TOW magnets (which, presumably would be use for towing). Your conclusion is wrong. Why?

And what about my other conclusion
If i siwth the side of one magnet the influence on the other will be imadatally ?
And you wanted me to ask why so i am asking. Why?

I am asking all this becouse i want to build communiction system

Welcome to the PF. :smile:
danielhaish said:
I am asking all this becouse i want to build communiction system
I can use my Mentor powers to see that you are posting from outside the US, so some of your typing/translation issues are understandable. Just try to do your best, and we will try to figure out what you are asking.

A couple comments:
  • Nothing happens instantaneously. Magnetic field changes (like any Electromagnetic field changes) propagate at the speed of light.
  • Communicating with just magnetic fields may not be the best way to do the communcation. If you can say more about the kind of communication you would like to experiment with, we can try to help you with a good setup and circuits.
Also, if you have questions about how to post or use the PF, please feel free to send me a personal message. You can do that by clicking on my avatar/username, and Start a Conversation.

Enjoy the PF, and stay curious! :smile:

danielhaish said:
Again, you have stated that you believe "every two magnets in the world will have a small influence on each other"

That is an obviously incorrect statement. I am asking you if you understand WHY it is incorrect.

phinds said:
Again, you have stated that you believe "every two magnets in the world will have a small influence on each other"

That is an obviously incorrect statement. I am asking you if you understand WHY it is incorrect.
I guess I'm not understanding why they don't. Infinetessimally small, maybe, but the fields never reach zero, right?

I meaned that I wll use two magnets that and one of them will be connect to rotary axis and for send the signal you will flip the magnet and them instad of pulling the other magnet it will push to other magnet so when the two magnet will be on the same pole the signal will be 1 and if the two magnet will be on different poles the signal will be0

berkeman said:
I guess I'm not understanding why they don't. Infinetessimally small, maybe, but the fields never reach zero, right?
I can't tell whether you are agreeing w/ me or disagreeing w/ me. I assume agreeing but would like clarification. Are you asking ME why they don't have a small influence (ALL magnets), asking HIM why they don't, or what? I'm slow today, perhaps.

danielhaish said:
I meaned that I wll use two magnets that and one of them will be connect to rotary axis and for send the signal you will flip the magnet and them instad of pulling the other magnet it will push to other magnet so when the two magnet will be on the same pole the signal will be 1 and if the two magnet will be on different poles the signal will be0
That's fine for an experiment to help you learn about communication systems.

One of the key parts of communication systems is "Signal to Noise Ratio". You should do some Google searching (or just read about that at Wikipedia). The closer the two magnets are, the stronger the influence of the transmitting (Tx) magnet on the receiving (Rx) magnet. So if you use some kind of force transducer to pick up the forces on the Rx magnet, you will want to keep the two magnets close enough to each other to be sure that you can see the forces/displacement on the Rx magnet reliably.

Does that make sense? :smile:

Likes sophiecentaur
phinds said:
I can't tell whether you are agreeing w/ me or disagreeing w/ me. I assume agreeing but would like clarification. Are you asking ME why they don't have a small influence (ALL magnets), asking HIM why they don't, or what? I'm slow today, perhaps.
I think I was disagreeing with you. Just like all planets have an influence on each other (however small), it would seem like all magnets in the world feel a small influence from all others (barring perfect B shielding). But if the OP wants to communicate with just B-field changes across the Earth, I agree that is not practical from a S/N standpoint.

Likes sophiecentaur
berkeman said:
That's fine for an experiment to help you learn about communication systems.

One of the key parts of communication systems is "Signal to Noise Ratio". You should do some Google searching (or just read about that at Wikipedia). The closer the two magnets are, the stronger the influence of the transmitting (Tx) magnet on the receiving (Rx) magnet. So if you use some kind of force transducer to pick up the forces on the Rx magnet, you will want to keep the two magnets close enough to each other to be sure that you can see the forces/displacement on the Rx magnet reliably.

Does that make sense? :smile:
Sound ok

Likes berkeman
This is really amzing it all most a magic .
They should tech us thing like that in school

berkeman said:
I think I was disagreeing with you. Just like all planets have an influence on each other (however small), it would seem like all magnets in the world feel a small influence from all others (barring perfect B shielding). But if the OP wants to communicate with just B-field changes across the Earth, I agree that is not practical from a S/N standpoint.
Ah. But his statement was that all magnets have a small influence on each other. I agree that magnets are useless by themselves for long-range communications but I though he felt that literally all magnets have a small effect on each other.

I've tried to take two small rare Earth magnets apart without sliding them past each other. Very hard. Couldn't do it with large ones. Would need a tow truck :smile:

phinds said:
Would need a tow truck
Or two trucks maybe... o0)

• Haha
Likes phinds
No i said it as respone of another massage

danielhaish said:
i sad
Please cheer up! :partytime:

So i am a litle confuse i will send a draw please tell me if it allow communication faster then the light

danielhaish said:
So i am a litle confuse i will send a draw please tell me if it allow communication faster then the light
No. There is no such thing as communication faster than light speed.

phinds said:
No. There is no such thing as communication faster than light speed.
This is the sipmle version of my system for a short dectance

Attachments

• 1571601561986..jpg
    1571601561986..jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 136
Is it going to work

danielhaish said:
Is it going to work

No. Because..

phinds said:
There is no such thing as communication faster than light speed.