Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the spring constant of rubber affect the rate at which it cools?

1. Mar 24, 2013 #1
    Does the spring constant of a piece of rubber affect its rate of cooling constant 'k' ?

1) Is there any formula, any proven relationship?

2) If there isn't, would investigating it make any sense? Or would it end up being a waste of time as the two variables are totally unrelated?
    Is there a possibility of a relationship between the two.

3)I am not sure, but when I asked this to someone, I was told to read something about hysteresis (don't know if I spelt it right!). What is it? I couldn't understand anything I read about it? And could it possibly answer my question?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't see any reason to expect any dependence. Both might be correlated with the density of rubber, but that is like asking for a correlation with the market price... sure, you will find some, but not because of a physical relation. In addition, spring constants for rubber are not well-defined, and a material property, whereas k depends on the shape and size of your material.

4. Mar 24, 2013 #3
    Okay, so ...

yes, I know that the spring constant for a piece rubber is defined only over a very small range, it reaches elastic limit very soon. Therefore, the original s.constant will be considered.

Is there any other variable that has a closer connection with spring constant that I could investigate?

5. Mar 24, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The k factor in the Newton cooling equation and k factor denoting spring constant are coincidentally using the same letter for representation. As far as I know, there is no relationship between the two properties. Like most formulas, one can use different letters to represent different quantities, as long as it is understood which quantity goes with which letter.

6. Mar 24, 2013 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It seems a plausible speculation (at least to somebody like me who knows a bit about continuum mechanics and heat transfer but nothing much about chemistry) that the elastic behavior and thermal properties of rubber would both be related to its behaviour at the molecular level, i.e. the way the long chain molecules "uncoil", and/or are intertwined with each other.

But I have no idea whether this has already been studied, or what the conclusions were if it has been studied.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook