1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring Constant and cord length? * Need explanation*

1. Jan 9, 2012 #1
    Okay, so hi. I am brand new here at PF and im signed up to ask this because this site appears to have allot of people who actually care and explain how to answer things.

I have a spring and a 200g weight.
    - The unstretched spring is: 0.238m long
    - Stretched spring (with 200g weight hanging from it): 0.305m long

I calculated the constant of the spring in newtons per meter : 29N/m
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    We are suppose to drop "a jumper" a.k.a my 200g weight from a 10m drop.
    My prblem is to find the length of string i need in order to have a successful bungee jump and not have a dead "jumper"
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    I dont get the constant, because the constant is just the length of the spring with the weight on it, and the spring stretches more then just 0.305m, speacialy if i drop it from 10m up.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Please help me.
    **Conclusion**
    29N/m is (to me) a useless value and have no idea on how to get the length of string so that my "jumper" does not die.

Notes: i tried to make this as clear as possible.

Why i need help: Because i would like to know how bungee jumping works. (presentation in english class, need to understand all of it and not just read stuff on google.)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2012 #2
    so sorry about posting this here. I read the homework rule after posting this.

Request delete.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook