Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Does the Uncertainty Principle imply a linear cosmology?

1. Jun 14, 2018 #1
    If the uncertainty in the age of the Universe is ##\Delta t## then the Uncertainty Principle implies that it has an uncertainty in its energy ##\Delta E## given by
    $$\Delta E \ \Delta t \sim h.\tag{1}$$
    If this energy fluctuation excites the zero-point electromagnetic field of the vacuum then a photon is created with energy ##\Delta E## and wavelength ##\lambda## given by
    $$\Delta E \sim h \frac{c}{\lambda}.\tag{2}$$
    Combining Equations ##(1)## and ##(2)## we find that
    $$\lambda \sim c\ \Delta t.\tag{3}$$
    Now as this characteristic length ##\lambda## is the wavelength of a photon it is a proper length that expands with the Universal scale factor ##a(t)## so that
    $$\lambda \sim a(t).\tag{4}$$
    Combining Equations ##(3)## and ##(4)##, and taking ##\Delta t \sim t##, we arrive at a unique linear cosmology with the normalized scale factor ##a## given by
    $$a(t) = \frac{t}{t_0}.$$
    where ##t_0## is the current age of the Universe.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2018 #2

phinds

Gold Member

I'll leave it to more knowledgeable folks to weight in, but what I think is that you have extrapolated the HUP to WAY outside of it's domain of relevance.

4. Jun 14, 2018 #3

PeterDonis

Staff: Mentor

You can't apply the uncertainty principle to the universe as a whole since there is no way to make an external measurement on it, and the uncertainty principle applies to external measurements.

Also, there is no "energy-time" uncertainty principle as you are using it. See, for example, here:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/uncertainty.html

So your post is based on at least two incorrect premises.

5. Jun 14, 2018 #4

PeterDonis

Staff: Mentor

Correction, three incorrect premises. The universe as a whole doesn't have "energy fluctuations" in this sense.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted