1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Does there exist any electric field inside a charged conductor?

1. May 1, 2017 #1
    We know that there exists no electric field inside a conductor. But while calculating drift velocity of electrons inside an electric conductor, why do we consider the electrons are present inside the charged conductor?

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2017 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

There certainly can exist an electric field inside a conductor. The electric field is proportional to the current density for ordinary conductors. This is known as Ohm's law

4. May 2, 2017 #3
    Is it electric field or electric current?

5. May 2, 2017 #4
    Both. The electric field drives the electric current.

6. May 3, 2017 #5
    What you're referring to is probably what you get told in electrostatics at first, but the lack of an electric field is actually the condition for the static state, it can exist and as mentioned here causes a current to flow, this is now electrodynamics

7. May 3, 2017 #6

Paul Colby

Gold Member

On the atomic scale there are always significant electric fields but these average out.

8. May 11, 2017 #7
    Yeah, I refer to electrostatics

9. May 12, 2017 #8

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

In electrostatics by definition you assume that all fields are time independent and that all current densities are vanishing, ##\vec{j}=0##. Now you have (in non-relativistic approximation) ##\vec{j}=\sigma \vec{E}##, where ##\sigma## is the electric conductivity of your medium. For a conductor ##\sigma \neq 0##, which implies that ##\vec{E}=0##, because in the electrostatic case you have by definition ##\vec{j}=0##.

10. May 14, 2017 #9
    I can't understand, please be elaborate.

11. May 15, 2017 #10

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

What don't you understand? It's very simple. In electrostatics by definition the current density vanishes. In a conductor, according to Ohm's Law, the current density is proportional to the electric field and thus the electric field must vanish within the conductor. I don't know, how I can this elaborate more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted