1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does this answer look right? (Infinitely long conductor pipe)

1. May 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Fig. 1 shows the cross-section of an infinitely long conducting pipe. The inner radius of the pipe is r = R1, and the outer radius is r = R2. Suppose the inner surface has a constant voltage V = Vc > 0, and the outer surface has a constant voltage V = 0. The voltage distribution between the inner and outer surface (blue region) is governed by the Laplace's equation ∇2V=0 expressed in polar coordinates. Solve for V with the given boundary conditions.

[Note: Fig. 1 just looks like a blue annulus centered at the origin in the plane.]

2. Relevant equations

Don't worry about them for now.

3. The attempt at a solution

Just tell me whether my solution V = (Vc log(r) - log(R2))/(log(R1) - log(R2)) intuitively seems like it's correct. I don't want you to carry out the process of deriving this ..... unless you want to.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2012 #2
    I.e. the voltage at a distance r from the center of the piper is proportional to log(r)

4. May 8, 2012 #3
    EDIT:

Actually I got

V(r,θ) = Vc * [log(r) - log(R2)] / [log(R1) - log(R2)]. ​

Does that seem right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook