Does this exist (proximity circuit)?

• Thread starter IHateMayonnaise
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for a proximity circuit that consists of two separate components: a "homing beacon" and a device that picks up its signal when in range, both battery powered and only working within a couple feet. Suggestions for achieving this include using an unregulated low power band or an off-the-shelf Bluetooth system. Other ideas include a shock collar or using RFID technology, specifically the active version. Cost and difficulty of fabrication are also discussed.
IHateMayonnaise
More than likely somebody has already done this, however I do not know what to search for or where to start. Hopefully I can find some insight here.

I am looking for some sort of proximity circuit. Specifically, it should consist of two separate components: A "homing beacon," i.e. a stationary circuit broadcasting some signal, and a device that picks it up when it is in range. Both should be battery powered. It needn't work over large distances..say more than about a couple feet or so. Has this been done before? And also, is it legal (from the FCC's perspective) to have this system for my own personal use? Thanks all!

IHateMayonnaise

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's fairly easy to do with a garage door opener system using one of the unregulated low power bands (eg 419Mhz)

For a bit more money but less work you can use an off the shelf system like BlueTooth where the base would automatically notify you if a new client had come into range.
I worked on a protoype 'man overboard' system using BlueTooth where the base constantly pinged all it's clients (attached to each crew member) and set an alarm if one of them couldn't be contacted - presumably because it had gone out of range or had stopped transmitting.
It's was the only offshore system where making it fail when immersed in sea water was a design goal!

mgb_phys said:
It's fairly easy to do with a garage door opener system using one of the unregulated low power bands (eg 419Mhz)

For a bit more money but less work you can use an off the shelf system like BlueTooth where the base would automatically notify you if a new client had come into range.
I worked on a protoype 'man overboard' system using BlueTooth where the base constantly pinged all it's clients (attached to each crew member) and set an alarm if one of them couldn't be contacted - presumably because it had gone out of range or had stopped transmitting.
It's was the only offshore system where making it fail when immersed in sea water was a design goal!

That's cool, thanks for the thoughtful reply!

Bluetooth sounds pretty much perfect, except that it's a bit overkill. It only needs to work for a couple feet, and outside of this it's actually important that it doesn't work. Here is the big picture: if the traveling device moves more than two feet (more or less...doesn't need to be exact) from the transmitter, it activates another circuit. Sort of like an alarm.

I understand that the transmitted distance depends on obstacles, atmospheric conditions, etc.., but then again the distance sensitivity doesn't have to be perfect - it just needs to do something if it moves more than 2 or 5 or 8 feet away. A good idea would be to be able to vary the intensity of the signal, so this can be tested. Also, if anyone has a better idea of how to achieve this goal, please, share. This is the first thing I thought of so I'm going with it.

IHateMayonnaise said:
That's cool, thanks for the thoughtful reply!

Bluetooth sounds pretty much perfect, except that it's a bit overkill. It only needs to work for a couple feet, and outside of this it's actually important that it doesn't work. Here is the big picture: if the traveling device moves more than two feet (more or less...doesn't need to be exact) from the transmitter, it activates another circuit. Sort of like an alarm.

I understand that the transmitted distance depends on obstacles, atmospheric conditions, etc.., but then again the distance sensitivity doesn't have to be perfect - it just needs to do something if it moves more than 2 or 5 or 8 feet away. A good idea would be to be able to vary the intensity of the signal, so this can be tested. Also, if anyone has a better idea of how to achieve this goal, please, share. This is the first thing I thought of so I'm going with it.

How about a shock collar? :rofl:

CS

That was the idea behind the BlueTooth man-overboard, it was intrinsically fail safe since if it failed or lost signal that was the alarm. If you are doing a theft prevention or child-wandering-off type system you need to think along similair lines. Where the loss of signal is the alert rather.

Do you need to track multiple independant clients from one base station? If so you either need different frequencies or to send some sort of ID data.
Take a look at the Atmel AVR micro, there is an rf data example in the dev kit - I think it's called the butterfly.

IHateMayonnaise said:
I am looking for some sort of proximity circuit. Specifically, it should consist of two separate components: A "homing beacon," i.e. a stationary circuit broadcasting some signal, and a device that picks it up when it is in range. Both should be battery powered. It needn't work over large distances..say more than about a couple feet or so.

Have you looked into RFID? The passive version only detects out to a few inches, but the active/powered versions can detect to several feet.

asynchronous13 said:
Have you looked into RFID? The passive version only detects out to a few inches, but the active/powered versions can detect to several feet.

That sounds pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, thanks! How difficult would it be to fabricate one (if they're not too complicated) or about how much would one cost? I am jumping straight to google to see if i can't find these things out, however a second opinion never hurts :)

there are 3 types of rfid, passive, semi-active and active. Passive rfid harvest the energy from the coil so it only works when it is close to detect the energy (inches). You will need active rfid. Try digikey.

there's a reader from atmel u2270B, add that with a controller and a tag to read.

IHateMayonnaise said:
That sounds pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, thanks! How difficult would it be to fabricate one (if they're not too complicated) or about how much would one cost? I am jumping straight to google to see if i can't find these things out, however a second opinion never hurts :)

For hobby-style RFID check Phidgets or Parallax. Prices from $40 to $65 for the reader, the cards are $1-2 /each (for passive). Active costs more, but I don't know a brand off-hand.

I think you can still get small sonar modules (they used to be used in cameras).
One of those might work.
Depends on if only identified objects should be detected.

Thanks for the replies all - I think I found out what I needed. There is actually an RFID device that does exactly what I am looking for - the Gotcha! Child Monitoring System - the parent wears a device and if the child travels outside a predefined radius it beeps incessantly. Thanks for the help everyone!

1. What is a proximity circuit?

A proximity circuit is a type of electronic circuit that is designed to detect the presence of nearby objects. It typically uses sensors such as infrared or ultrasonic sensors to detect changes in the surrounding environment.

2. How does a proximity circuit work?

A proximity circuit works by emitting a signal, such as light or sound, and then measuring the time it takes for the signal to reflect back to the sensor. Based on this measurement, the circuit can determine the distance of the object from the sensor.

3. What are the applications of proximity circuits?

Proximity circuits have a wide range of applications, including automatic doors, motion-activated lights, touchless faucets, and robotics. They are also used in security systems to detect intruders and in smartphones to enable features such as auto-brightness adjustment.

4. Are there different types of proximity circuits?

Yes, there are several types of proximity circuits, including capacitive, inductive, ultrasonic, and infrared. Each type of circuit uses different sensors and methods to detect the presence of nearby objects.

5. How accurate are proximity circuits?

The accuracy of a proximity circuit depends on various factors, such as the type of sensor used, environmental conditions, and the design of the circuit. However, most modern proximity circuits are highly accurate and can detect objects within a few centimeters or even millimeters.