Does viscosity have to do with density?

In summary: Uh, when did pressure get brought in, other than by you just now and not in your post to which I reponded?pressure has been brought up in multiple posts, but it does not seem to have a significant impact on viscosity.
Alex299792458
When you look at a viscous fluid its so thick and it seams that its dense and a runny fluid seams less dense. Like if you take a bottle of syrup it fells a bit heavier than a bottle of water. Plus if the atom are packed closer to each other (and in the form of liquid the atoms move past each other that's why they can take the shape of the container) they will crash into each other and make friction slowing them down in a thick viscous fluid , right? I don't know if any of that is true so tell if I'm and is viscosity is caused by density.

Likes fireflies
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not an expert in this area but I believe viscosity is primarily due to inter molecular forces. Some examples that refute your observations are motor oil which is very viscous but less dense that water and mercury which is not viscous in the usual sense but very dense.

Likes Alex299792458, jim mcnamara, phinds and 4 others
excellent response gleem :smile:

If idioms serve any weight, molasses is slower in January than July. The viscosity of molasses would seem to rely more strongly on temperature than density.

davenn said:
excellent response gleem :smile:
agreed

stedwards said:
If idioms serve any weight, molasses is slower in January than July. The viscosity of molasses would seem to rely more strongly on temperature than density.
Good point.

Alex299792458 said:
When you look at a viscous fluid its so thick and it seams that its dense and a runny fluid seams less dense. Like if you take a bottle of syrup it fells a bit heavier than a bottle of water. Plus if the atom are packed closer to each other (and in the form of liquid the atoms move past each other that's why they can take the shape of the container) they will crash into each other and make friction slowing them down in a thick viscous fluid , right? I don't know if any of that is true so tell if I'm and is viscosity is caused by density.

Motor oil is more viscous than water, but is also less dense - it floats.
So I don't think that the hypothesis that viscosity is caused by density is going to work.

Nugatory said:
Motor oil is more viscous than water, but is also less dense - it floats.
So I don't think that the hypothesis that viscosity is caused by density is going to work.
You must have missed post #2 :smile:

Viscosity its related to density so yes they do have a relationship between each other, the fludid have their own viscosity and their own density.. thnx

FL0R1 said:
Viscosity its related to density so yes they do have a relationship between each other, the fludid have their own viscosity and their own density.. thnx

That makes no sense. That's like saying countries have their own populations and letters in their names, so there is a relationship between them.

FL0R1 said:
Have you not been reading this thread? After what's been posted, you're going to have to be a lot more specific and convincing than to simply state something that defies what has already been said.

phinds said:
Have you not been reading this thread? After what's been posted, you're going to have to be a lot more specific and convincing than to simply state something that defies what has already been said.

I couldn't decode his post, but it would be shocking know there were no dependent of viscosity on pressure for any given fluid, other than a superfluid.

However, it's seems fairly true for nearly all fluids, that for any given temperature, where the pressure ranges from evaporation to solidification, ##\Delta \mu / \Delta P##, is much less than one:

The change in viscosity over the change in pressure is small in most, if not, all common fluids, is small.​

And I think there is a predatory tendency, sadists with various titles, on this website that relish in beating-up on anyone including children, and that really bothers me . What do you think?

Last edited:
stedwards said:
I couldn't decode his post,
Which of posts 2, 4, and 7 could you not decode?

but it would be shocking know there were no dependent of viscosity on pressure for any given fluid, other than a superfluid.
Uh, when did pressure get brought in, other than by you just now and not in your post to which I reponded?

And I think there is a predatory tendency, sadists with various titles, on this website that relish in beating-up on anyone including children, and that really bothers me . What do you think?
I didn't know we had any children on the forum and I think you are being overly sensitive to criticism. The forum is about science and facts, not about beating anyone up.

Likes davenn
phinds said:
Which of posts 2, 4, and 7 could you not decode?

Uh, when did pressure get brought in, other than by you just now and not in your post to which I reponded?

I didn't know we had any children on the forum and I think you are being overly sensitive to criticism. The forum is about science and facts, not about beating anyone up.

You can be adversarial-lite at times, phinds. I've read many of your posts. Of course there are children.

Last edited:
stedwards said:
You can be adversarial-lite at times, phinds. I've read many of your posts.
OK, you're right about that.

Of course there are children.
huh? I was not aware of that. Perhaps our definitions differ. For example, I know we have at least one 11 year old but somehow I don't think of an 11 year old who comes on this forum as a child. That's maybe a flaw on my part.

1. What is viscosity?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow, or how thick or sticky it is. It is often referred to as the "thickness" of a fluid.

2. How is viscosity measured?

Viscosity can be measured using various methods, including a viscometer or a rheometer. These instruments measure the time it takes for a fluid to flow through a specific device, and calculate the viscosity based on that time.

3. What factors affect viscosity?

The viscosity of a fluid can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances. Generally, higher temperatures result in lower viscosity, while higher pressures and the presence of other substances can increase or decrease viscosity.

4. Does density have an effect on viscosity?

Yes, density can have an effect on viscosity. Generally, fluids with higher density tend to have higher viscosities. This is because the molecules in a denser fluid are more tightly packed, making it more difficult for them to flow past each other.

5. How are density and viscosity related?

Density and viscosity are related, but they are not the same thing. While both properties describe a fluid's behavior, they measure different aspects of it. Generally, fluids with higher density tend to have higher viscosities, but there are exceptions to this rule. For example, honey has a higher viscosity than water, but it is less dense.