Does water vapour absorbtion depend on H2O conc or RH?

In summary, blowing air containing a fixed kg/m3 of water vapour over anhydrous CaCl2 will result in a decrease in absorption rate as temperature rises, until it reaches a certain temperature where absorption stops and rejection begins. The air density will also decrease at the heated end of a closed air-containing horizontal tube, while the absolute humidity will remain the same but the relative humidity will decrease.
Roger44
Hello
If I blow air containing a fixed kg/m3 of water vapour over anhydrous CaCl2, will the absorbtion rate change if the air temp is different? To simplify, we neglect exotheric heat generated by hygroscopy.

Thanks for your answers to this rather simple question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Roger44 said:
Hello
If I blow air containing a fixed kg/m3 of water vapour over anhydrous CaCl2, will the absorbtion rate change if the air temp is different? To simplify, we neglect exotheric heat generated by hygroscopy.

Thanks for your answers to this rather simple question.
Yes. You are describing the exact material and process sometimes used for for desiccant dehumidification. The absorption rate and capacity drops as temperature rises and above a certain temp, the absorption stops and it starts rejecting. You should be able to find charts giving exact performance for a theoretically perfect process. I found this, for example, but it doesn't have cacl2...
https://www.sorbentsystems.com/desiccants_charts.html

Last edited:
May I first wish you and your family a Happy Xmas. Father Christmas and the grandchildren visited us yesterday so I'm free today to think ...

I'll come back on absorbtion rates when I've finished a few observations here, but in the meantime could I again ask for your opinion on two schoolboy topics:

1. A closed air-containg horizontal tube externally heated towards one end. Will air inside be at a lower density at the heated end?
2. If the air is moist, will the g of water wapour per kg of dry air be different along the tube?

1) The air will be at the same pressure, but lower density at the heated end.
2) The absolute humidity (grams H20 per grams of dry air) will be the same, the relative humidity will be lower at the heated end.

You might find it interesting to spend some time studying a psychrometric chart, which shows the relationships between temperature, water vapor concentration, relative humidity, and density.

1. Does the amount of water vapor in the air affect its absorption capabilities?

Yes, the amount of water vapor, or water vapor concentration, in the air does have an impact on its absorption capabilities. The more water vapor present in the air, the higher the absorption rate will be.

2. Is water vapor absorption dependent on relative humidity (RH)?

Yes, water vapor absorption is directly related to relative humidity. Higher relative humidity means more water vapor in the air, which leads to higher absorption rates.

3. What is the relationship between water vapor concentration and relative humidity?

Water vapor concentration and relative humidity have a direct relationship. As water vapor concentration increases, so does relative humidity, and vice versa.

4. Does the temperature affect water vapor absorption?

Yes, temperature does have an impact on water vapor absorption. Higher temperatures can increase the rate of water vapor absorption, while lower temperatures can decrease it.

5. How does water vapor absorption impact the atmospheric water cycle?

Water vapor absorption plays a crucial role in the atmospheric water cycle. It helps to regulate the amount of water vapor in the air, which can lead to precipitation and other weather patterns. Without water vapor absorption, the water cycle would not function properly, and our planet's weather patterns would be significantly affected.