Doing a PSM in Nanoscience before applying to Ph.D at top schools

• Schools
  • Thread starter Changnoi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph.d Schools
In summary, the US Citizen is inquiring about studying in the US, but is open to studying abroad if the opportunity arises. The US Citizen has mediocre grades and an inadequate GRE score, but is concerned about being able to get into a reputable Physics Ph.D program. The US Citizen has selected Upper division Physics electives that they would like to take while in their last year of their Physics degree, but is undecided about whether or not to apply to the joint BS/PSM program offered by their current University. The PSM offered by the current University is not likely to enhance the chances of entering a reputable Physics program, but the PSM is useful in lining up a non-academic career. The US Citizen should submit their GRE
Changnoi
First: I am US Citizen, inquiring about US study though open to study abroad.

I'm in my last year of my Physics degree, and like many people would like to go to do my Ph.D in Physics.

However, my GRE and GPA are only mediocre and I'm concerned that I would have difficulty getting into a reputable Ph.D program. My GPA is 3.2 and my Physics GRE 580.

My current University offers a joint BS/PSM program. I've prepared to enter the program by carefully selecting my Upper division Physics electives but always thought of this as a Plan B and have yet to officially apply.

My questions are, exactly,

1. Will doing my PSM (Nanoscience) enhance my chances of entering a reputable Physics program like Stanford or Caltech?

2. Will I still have to submit GRE scores when I already have a Master's? (Generally)

3. Is the PSM independently useful or is it hype like a Bachelor's in Interdisciplinary Studies?

4. Is a Ph.D from a less reputable but very competent school useful in the job market?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) I doubt it. A PSM program is supposed to prepare you for a career track isn't it? So aren't some business courses usually in the mix? I would think taking "normal" physics grad courses and doing more physics research is a better choice. But I don't think you have a realistic chance at #1 schools with your grades. Is there a reason you think only #1 ranked schools are reputable.
2) I am pretty sure the PGRE rules apply to everyone, but you will do better on the PGRE once you take (harder) grad level courses (and "Carnegie Hall" practicing).
3) I don't really know, but PSM students I know do not take all the core physics grad courses nor the comp exams so PSM does not carry as much weight in the academic setting. Really, I thought PSM was about lining up a non-academic career.
4) Bright people will shine wherever they are, but... You will hear a lot of arguments about this, but my personal feeling is that to get a tenure track faculty position (and first the excellent respected post-doc), you need to be a place where great things are happening, usually the most highly ranked schools. But if you are being realistic and considering non-academic careers, people outside the university are usually not too aware of the rankings. I would say that it depends on which job market you are talking about.

What's a PSM?

1. Doing a PSM in Nanoscience before applying to Ph.D programs at top schools can definitely enhance your chances of getting accepted. The PSM program will provide you with specialized knowledge and skills in a specific area of physics, which can make you a more competitive candidate for top Ph.D programs. Additionally, having a PSM can demonstrate to admissions committees that you are committed to pursuing a career in physics and have already taken steps to gain advanced knowledge in the field.

2. In most cases, yes, you will still need to submit GRE scores even if you have a Master's degree. However, some schools may waive the GRE requirement for applicants who have completed a PSM program. It is important to check with each individual school to determine their specific requirements.

3. The PSM in Nanoscience is not just hype, it is a legitimate and valuable degree. It provides you with advanced knowledge and skills in a specific area of physics, which can be very useful in both academic and industry settings. A Bachelor's in Interdisciplinary Studies, on the other hand, may not have the same level of depth and specialization as a PSM.

4. A Ph.D from a less reputable but competent school can still be useful in the job market. What matters more is the quality of your research and the skills and knowledge you have gained during your Ph.D program. However, keep in mind that attending a top school can also provide you with valuable networking opportunities and access to top researchers in your field, which can potentially open up more job opportunities. Ultimately, it is important to choose a Ph.D program that aligns with your research interests and career goals, regardless of the school's reputation.

1. What is a PSM in Nanoscience?

A PSM (Professional Science Master's) in Nanoscience is a graduate program that combines advanced coursework in nanoscience with professional development and training in business and management. It is designed to prepare students for careers in industry, government, or non-profit organizations.

2. How is a PSM in Nanoscience different from a traditional Master's degree?

A PSM in Nanoscience differs from a traditional Master's degree in that it emphasizes both the technical aspects of nanoscience and the skills needed for a successful career in the field. This includes training in project management, communication, and teamwork, as well as opportunities for internships and industry collaborations.

3. Can a PSM in Nanoscience help me get into a top Ph.D program?

Yes, a PSM in Nanoscience can definitely enhance your chances of getting into a top Ph.D program. Not only does it provide you with a strong background in nanoscience, but it also demonstrates your ability to excel in a professional environment and your commitment to pursuing a career in the field.

4. What are some top schools that offer PSM in Nanoscience programs?

Some top schools that offer PSM in Nanoscience programs include Arizona State University, University of California Santa Barbara, University of Pennsylvania, and University of Washington. It is important to research and consider the specific program offerings and faculty expertise at each school to determine the best fit for your interests and goals.

5. Is a PSM in Nanoscience a good choice for someone interested in pursuing a Ph.D?

Yes, a PSM in Nanoscience can be a great choice for someone interested in pursuing a Ph.D. The program provides a strong foundation in nanoscience and professional skills that can help you stand out in the competitive Ph.D application process. It also offers opportunities for research experience and networking, which can be valuable for determining your specific interests and goals within the field.