Domain of validity of an integral

In summary, the integral \int_0^1 dx \frac{x^n}{\sqrt{x^3+5}} has a domain of validity for absolute convergence if Re(n) > -1. The integrand only blows up at x=0, if at all, in a finite range of integration. As x -> 0, the integrand is O(x^n). Plugging in zero for x gives \frac{0}{\sqrt{5}}. However, if Re(n) = -1, the integral does not have absolute convergence.
tourjete

Homework Statement

This integral is actually part of a question I had on an exam about analytic continuation. The integral is
[tex] \int_0^1 dx \frac{x^n}{\sqrt{x^3+5}} [/tex]. The first part of the question is "what is its domain of validity for absolute convergence of the integral?" It then goes on to ask for a valid analytic continuation (I know how to do that part)

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer key my professor provided states that "the integrand only blows up at x=0, if at all, in a finite range of integration. As x -> 0, the integrand is O([itex]x^n[/itex]), so there is absolute convergence if Real n > -1.

I can easily how how this is the domain of validity assuming the integral blows up at 0, but I can't see how the integral would possibly blow up at 0. Plugging in zero for x gives [itex]\frac{0}{\sqrt{5}}[/itex]. I've tried putting the integral in other forms and I still don't see it. I taylor expanded the square root around x = 0 but that still doesn't cause it to blow up, nor does multiplying the top and bottom of the integral by the square root. I'm sure I'm just making some stupid calculus mistake somewhere...

Physics news on Phys.org
tourjete said:

Homework Statement

This integral is actually part of a question I had on an exam about analytic continuation. The integral is
[tex] \int_0^1 dx \frac{x^n}{\sqrt{x^3+5}} [/tex]. The first part of the question is "what is its domain of validity for absolute convergence of the integral?" It then goes on to ask for a valid analytic continuation (I know how to do that part)

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer key my professor provided states that "the integrand only blows up at x=0, if at all, in a finite range of integration. As x -> 0, the integrand is O([itex]x^n[/itex]), so there is absolute convergence if Real n > -1.

I can easily how how this is the domain of validity assuming the integral blows up at 0, but I can't see how the integral would possibly blow up at 0. Plugging in zero for x gives [itex]\frac{0}{\sqrt{5}}[/itex]. I've tried putting the integral in other forms and I still don't see it. I taylor expanded the square root around x = 0 but that still doesn't cause it to blow up, nor does multiplying the top and bottom of the integral by the square root. I'm sure I'm just making some stupid calculus mistake somewhere...

Did you not read the restriction Re(n) > -1? What happens if you take Re(n) = -1 (for example, n = -1)? What happens if you take Re(n) < -1, for example, n = -2?

What is the domain of validity of an integral?

The domain of validity of an integral refers to the range of values for which the integral is defined and yields a meaningful result. It is the set of all possible input values for which the integral function is well-defined.

How is the domain of validity determined for an integral?

The domain of validity is determined by the properties of the integral function, such as its continuity and differentiability. It also depends on the limits of integration and the function being integrated. In some cases, it may be necessary to use special techniques, such as substitution or partial fractions, to determine the domain of validity.

What happens if the input values fall outside the domain of validity?

If the input values fall outside the domain of validity, the integral may either be undefined or yield an incorrect result. This is because the function being integrated is not well-defined for those values, and the integral cannot be evaluated. It is important to identify the domain of validity before evaluating an integral to ensure accurate results.

Can the domain of validity change for different types of integrals?

Yes, the domain of validity may change depending on the type of integral being evaluated. For example, a definite integral may have a different domain of validity than an indefinite integral. Additionally, different techniques may be required to determine the domain of validity for different types of integrals.

How can we ensure that the domain of validity is properly considered when evaluating an integral?

To ensure that the domain of validity is properly considered, it is important to carefully analyze the function being integrated and identify any potential problem areas. It may also be helpful to sketch a graph of the function to visualize its behavior and identify any discontinuities or other issues that may affect the domain of validity. It is also important to double-check the limits of integration to ensure they fall within the domain of validity.