1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Domains of vector values functions

1. Feb 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

r(t)- ln|t-1| i , e^t j , sqrt(t) k find the natural domains. this is a problem as an example in the book.

2. Relevant equations

It gives an answer of (-infinity,1) U (1,+infinity), (-infinity,+ininity) and [0, +infinity) and the intersection of these sets are [0,1) U (1,+infinity) then it says that the naturals domain of r(t) is 0=< t <1 or t >1

3. The attempt at a solution I understand that ln of 0 is non existant, I understand the domain of e is plus and minus infinity, i also understand the domain of the square root function, but i dont see how to find the intersection of these sets and i dont understand how they got the natural domain either. can someone please explain this to me?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ln(|t-1|) is only undefined at t=1. sqrt(t) is undefined for t<0. Remove those points from the number line and what's left?

4. Feb 12, 2009 #3
    thank you so much. I didnt realize it was that easy lol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook