Is Pursuing a Career in Astrophysics Worth It?

• Thread starter Opus_723
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientist
In summary, Katz is a respectable scientist who has a controversial opinion on other matters. He advocates against becoming a professor, but says that if you are a good student, you have a good chance of getting a good job. He warns that the profession does not live up to expectations, and that law schools can be a great option if you are willing to take on a lot of debt.
Opus_723
http://wuphys.wustl.edu/~katz/scientist.html"

I'm an undergrad, getting ready to start taking physics classes next year. My interests lie in astrophysics, mostly. I have always thought that being a professor was the career for me. I know I wouldn't make as much money in this field as I could in others, but I'm okay with that, as long as I can live comfortably.

However, I keep running across articles like this, and I'm getting scared. I still want nothing more than to do research, but I'm getting worried. I'm in a very serious relationship, and after reading the above article, I hate the thought of moving around that often, trying to find a job. Not so much moving around, I guess, but having no control over where I go is what scares me. I am a very good student, top of my class in everything, but I don't think that guarantees me anything.

Is this article accurate? If so, what can I do to avoid this situation? I really do want to be a researcher, but is it worth it? This man seems to think that even after all of that struggle, the profession doesn't live up to expectations.

EDIT: Really sorry, meant to post this in the Careers forum! I'd appreciate it if this could be moved there. Again, Sorry!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This "article" had already been addressed in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=102209". You may want to do a search on it.

While Katz is a respectable scientist, his opinion on other matters can be quite controversial (do a search on his name). I'm not saying you should totally ignore what he says on such subject matter, but you should at least have some perspective on the type of opinion that he holds on to.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I did do a search, but I guess I missed it.

Hah! I haven't even been on this site for too long but I have probably seen 4 threads about this article! :P

The article is hilarious, not because of its obvious advice to not become a professor, but because it tells kids to be a lawyer!

If he thinks there's a glut of PH.Ds, he should seriously check out law schools.

$40,000/yr for schools ranked 150th?
Job prospects, even at top schools, that make people go into bankruptcy from the debt?

Hell law schools in the top 15 generally place 20-30% of their ENTIRE graduating class into jobs paying market price... with people below median being unemployed in the field.

Too funny.

Last edited:

What is the book "Don't Become a Scientist?" about?

The book "Don't Become a Scientist?" is a critical examination of the scientific field and the realities of being a scientist in today's world. It explores the challenges and limitations of the scientific profession, as well as the pressure to conform to traditional scientific norms and expectations.

Who is the author of "Don't Become a Scientist?"

The author of "Don't Become a Scientist?" is Dr. Jonathan R. Latham, a scientist and biologist with over 30 years of experience in the field. He is also the co-founder and executive director of The Bioscience Resource Project, a nonprofit organization that provides independent research and analysis on critical issues in bioscience.

What inspired the writing of "Don't Become a Scientist?"

The author was inspired to write "Don't Become a Scientist?" based on his own personal experiences and observations in the scientific field. He noticed a lack of critical discourse and open discussion about the challenges and limitations of being a scientist, and wanted to shed light on these issues for both current and aspiring scientists.

Is "Don't Become a Scientist?" only for scientists?

No, "Don't Become a Scientist?" is not just for scientists. While the book is primarily focused on the scientific field, it can be relevant and informative for anyone interested in science and its impact on society. The book also provides valuable insights for those considering a career in science, as well as for those who work with or rely on scientific research.

What is the main message of "Don't Become a Scientist?"

The main message of "Don't Become a Scientist?" is to encourage critical thinking and questioning within the scientific community, and to challenge traditional norms and expectations. The book also aims to promote a more open and inclusive scientific culture that values diverse perspectives and encourages collaboration and innovation.