Don't Put Your Vanilla Essence Next To Your Fish Sauce

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary, this woman is warning others about the dangers of mixing up different spices, and how it can spice up one's life.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
OK, here's a friendly advice to you. Do not keep your essence of vanilla right next to your fish sauce, especially if they look roughly similar to each other.

img8120v.jpg

As some of you may know, I like to make a cup of hot chocolate on mornings when I'm at home. I have my own recipe for it: dutch-processed cocoa powder, cinnamon powder, freshly-grated nutmeg, sugar (but not too sweet), a pinch of salt (yes, salt), and a splash of vanilla essence.

Last week, I went into the kitchen to make myself one of these hot chocolate drink. It was a crazy week, I was busy writing this grant proposal that was due in a couple of days, and my head was completely occupied with this thing. But I've made this hot chocolate for a gazillion times and it has become almost automatic. So I went through the routine, while my head was somewhere else thinking of stuff for the proposal.

It was right at the moment that I was pouring the splash of vanilla into my concoction that something didn't feel right - the smell! Once the liquid hit the hot cocoa mix in the pot, I snapped back into the moment and immediately paid attention to what I was doing, because I was smelling something odd that didn't make any sense for a hot chocolate drink. That's when I looked at the bottle I was holding, and yes, it was a bottle of FISH SAUCE! I added a splash of fish sauce to my hot chocolate drink!

So I turned off the burner, and walked back to the pantry. Putting the bottle of fish sauce back to where it came from, I began to see what might have happened. While they don't look identical, the bottle of fish sauce and vanilla essence were right next to each other. Unfortunately, they were both liquid of almost the same color. Since I use both of them often enough, it is not unusual for me to reach for either of them. So obviously, this one time, I sort of tuned out to what I was doing, and reached for the wrong bottle! They were both in the same part of the pantry, and they were next to each other. Oy vey!

I did throw out the concoction that I made, but I still managed to get a small taste of it, out of curiosity. It wasn't good! I made another one, this time making sure I used the correct ingredients (haven't had the occasion of mistaking the cocoa powder for the paprika yet). And yes, I've moved the two bottles away from each other, because I can see myself reaching for the vanilla when I'm making tom yum soup one day!

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
In a similar vein, I've learned that it's good to keep the Preparation H separate from the toothpaste.

Ivan Seeking said:
In a similar vein, I've learned that it's good to keep the Preparation H separate from the toothpaste.

That is a very, very different vein.

Do you realize you just enacted some Disney scene of Goofy or Donald Duck mixing up their ingredients while cooking ? :D

I'll occasionally use oyster sauce in my morning latte if I happen to have run out of half and half...

@ Zz! :eek:

Evo said:
@ Zz! :eek:

What? Does that mean that you won't be visiting me anytime soon and let me serve you some hot chocolate?

Zz.

Good thing you had not a cold ZZ!
Recently I've used quinoa seed instead of sesame seed; I keep both seeds into identital transparent jars next to each other. The result however was not bad, I could not taste the saponin. It's only after I verted them into a sauce that I realized what I had done.

That's why I have two wine cellars, one for the reds, one for the whites. The rosés go directly to the recycling bin as I have yet to find a use for them.

ZapperZ said:
What? Does that mean that you won't be visiting me anytime soon and let me serve you some hot chocolate?

Zz.
:tongue2:

Evo said:
:tongue2:
What could these cryptic messages mean...WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO TELL US EVO

I keep my cinnamon powder next to my chile powder and every time I pour some reddish brown powder in my oatmeal, I quickly look to make sure I put the right one in there.
I'm not going to separate them. I like the danger of it. It spices up my life a little bit.
lisab said:

You guys are good. I thought of a joke after reading your comments, but then I realized you beat me to it.

WannabeNewton said:
What could these cryptic messages mean...WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO TELL US EVO

She's probably trying to tell us :tongue: and :approve:

I once mixed up a bottle of radiator fluid and vegetable oil. I was going to make scrambled eggs and both bottles were the same size and color. Thankfully my uncle noticed the greenish liquid :eek:

Julio R said:
I once mixed up a bottle of radiator fluid and vegetable oil. I was going to make scrambled eggs and both bottles were the same size and color. Thankfully my uncle noticed the greenish liquid :eek:
Ok, fish sauce and vanilla extract in the same cabinet I understand.

Antifreeze (a poison) in a food cabinet, I do not understand.

Good thing you were home.

http://makezineblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/figure_02_28_hfl.jpg?w=600&h=399

Evo said:
Ok, fish sauce and vanilla extract in the same cabinet I understand.

Antifreeze (a poison) in a food cabinet, I do not understand.

I do not understand either. I was 12 so I had no idea what antifreeze looked like. I actually thought the oil had gone bad.

dlgoff said:
Good thing you were home.

http://makezineblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/figure_02_28_hfl.jpg?w=600&h=399

Nothing like being prepared for those unexpected medical emergencies :cool:

I made my hot chocolate this morning, with no fish sauce incident. In fact, I'm enjoying it right this very moment. :)

img8122b.jpg

Zz.

Oh, that DOES look yummy!

Perfect for a cold morning :)

Ivan Seeking said:

lisab said:

Yeah, that was the last time that I had lips.

1. What is the reason for not putting vanilla essence next to fish sauce?

The reason for not putting vanilla essence next to fish sauce is that the strong smell of fish sauce can easily transfer to the vanilla essence, altering its flavor. Similarly, the strong smell of vanilla can also transfer to the fish sauce, affecting its taste and smell.

2. Will placing vanilla essence and fish sauce in the same cabinet or shelf affect the taste of both products?

Yes, placing vanilla essence and fish sauce in the same cabinet or shelf can affect the taste of both products. The strong smells of each can easily transfer to the other, altering their flavors.

3. Can the placement of vanilla essence and fish sauce affect the quality of either product?

Yes, the placement of vanilla essence and fish sauce can affect the quality of either product. The strong smells can alter the flavor of both products, making them less desirable to use in cooking.

4. Are there any other products that should not be placed next to vanilla essence or fish sauce?

Yes, other strong-smelling products such as onions, garlic, or pungent spices should also not be placed next to vanilla essence or fish sauce. The strong smells can transfer and alter the flavors of these products as well.

5. How should vanilla essence and fish sauce be stored to avoid any flavor transfer?

Vanilla essence and fish sauce should be stored in separate cabinets or shelves, ideally in airtight containers. If only one cabinet is available, they should be stored on opposite sides to prevent any smell transfer. It is also recommended to store them away from other strong-smelling products.