1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dot product and cross product problem

1. Oct 13, 2009 #1
    I am having problems with this questions my physics teacher gave us. Since he doesn't explain things well, I do not know how he got an answer of 66. Can you please explain to me how to get this answer? THX.

For the following three vectors, what is C*(A X 3B) (the "*" is suppose to be a dot)

A = 4I -3J -2K B = -3I +1J +2K C = -3I + 5J -4K

2. Relevant equations

I J K I J
    4 -3 -2 4 -3
    -9 3 6 -9 3

(18I+6I) + (18J-24J) + (-27K-12K)
    24I - 6J - 39K

(24I X -3I) + (-6J X 5J) + (-39K X -4K)

-72I -30J +156

156-102

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2009 #2
    Do the cross product first, the three in front of B is a constant and can be pulled out of the cross product (or you can multiply three into all of the components of B, either works).

Cross product by components:
    (A(J)*(B(K) - B(J)*A(K))I - (A(I)*B(K) - B(I)*A(K))J + (A(I)*B(J) - B(I)*A(J))K

Then dot product is just multiplying each component and summing them.

(A(I)*B(I)) + (A(J)*B(J)) + (A(K)*B(K)) and that should give you a number (or a scalar).

I hope the notation makes sense. A/B then the I, J, or K component of that vector is inside of parentheses.

Have fun with multivariate calc/linear algebra junk

4. Oct 13, 2009 #3
    thank you I figured it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook