Dot Product, what's wrong with my method?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the three angles of a triangle with given vectors. The findings show that the triangle is an isosceles triangle with two congruent sides, and thus the only angle that needs to be found is angle B. The calculation for angle B is shown, but there is confusion about the congruence of sides and angles A and C. Eventually, the mistake is identified and solved. It is important to make a visual representation of the situation to avoid confusion with labeling and finding the desired angles.
rocomath
Find the three angles of the triangle with given vectors.

A(1,0)
B(3,6)
C(-1,4)

I found that AB & BC are congruent, so this ends up being an Isosceles triangle and the only angle I need to find is B.

BC=<3+1,6-4>=<4,2>
AB=<3-1,6-0>=<2,6>

[tex]\angle B=\cos^{-1}{\frac{20}{\sqrt{20 \cdot 40}}=45^o[/tex]

So [tex]\angle A = \angle C = \frac{180-45}{2}=67.5^o[/tex] but this isn't correct, so what am I doing wrong?

It's supposed to be a 45, 45, 90 triangle.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean AB and BC are congruent? That they have the same length? I don't think so. You used that their lengths are sqrt(20) and sqrt(40). AC and BC are the two equal sides.

Angle A is not congruent to angle C; it is angles B and C that are congruent. Check the dot product of vector AC with vector AB. (This is indeed a right isosceles triangle.) Making a picture of the situation is often helpful in keeping straight which vectors you want to look at.

Dick said:
What do you mean AB and BC are congruent? That they have the same length? I don't think so. You used that their lengths are sqrt(20) and sqrt(40). AC and BC are the two equal sides.

dynamicsolo said:
Angle A is not congruent to angle C; it is angles B and C that are congruent. Check the dot product of vector AC with vector AB. (This is indeed a right isosceles triangle.) Making a picture of the situation is often helpful in keeping straight which vectors you want to look at.
Thanks! I found my mistake in mislabeling my congruent sides :-[

1. What is a dot product?

A dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar value. It is also known as the scalar product or inner product.

2. How is a dot product calculated?

To calculate a dot product, you multiply each corresponding component of the two vectors and then add all of the products together. This can be represented mathematically as A · B = a1b1 + a2b2 + ... + anbn, where A and B are vectors with n components.

3. What does the dot product represent?

The dot product of two vectors represents the projection of one vector onto the other. It can also be interpreted as the magnitude of one vector multiplied by the magnitude of the other vector and the cosine of the angle between them.

4. What is the significance of the dot product in physics?

In physics, the dot product is often used to calculate work, which is the product of force and displacement. It is also used to calculate the angle between two vectors and can be used to determine if two vectors are perpendicular to each other.

5. What are some common mistakes when calculating a dot product?

Some common mistakes when calculating a dot product include using the wrong formula, forgetting to include negative signs, or multiplying the magnitudes of the vectors instead of the components. It is important to carefully check the formula and double-check the calculations to avoid these errors.