Double Degree: Is It Worth the 6 Year Commitment?

• Programs
  • Thread starter AEharley
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, the decision to pursue a double degree in physics and aerospace engineering ultimately depends on your priorities and goals. While engineering may offer better financial prospects, if you have a strong passion for physics, a double major may be worth it. Alternatively, you could consider a major in engineering with a minor in physics for a more balanced approach. Ultimately, it's important to consider both your financial and personal satisfaction when making this decision.
AEharley
I'm considering a double degree in physics and aerospace engineering. This double degree in Australia (where I live) would take 6 years. Is it worth it? Or is six years just too long to be studying?

Physics news on Phys.org
AEharley said:
I'm considering a double degree in physics and aerospace engineering. This double degree in Australia (where I live) would take 6 years. Is it worth it? Or is six years just too long to be studying?

My double major in physics and electrical engineering took longer than that and I'm currently in the running for some interesting jobs. Six years isn't that long of a time to be studying for a program like that (I know some people will disagree, but people who can do double majors in physics and engineering in the standard 4 years are rare, period). If you're going to do this, take advantage of the resources in both departments and see if you can get involved in research with both departments (or something that straddles the expertise of both, plasma or electric propulsion is a common one). This will make you a strong candidate for grad school or employment.

AEharley said:

In general, engineering hits your wallet better than physics.

That being said, A major in engineering with a minor in physics might be best.

When you say..."is it worth it?". Do you mean financially or self satisfaction?

That's always a battle you will fight. Cash is king...but so is feeling good about yourself. Most people confuse the two as being the same.

If you love physics that much go for the double major. If your more interested in making money faster and spending less on your degree(s), maybe do the engineering major/phyics minor I mention above. Or maybe even focus on engineering totally and throw the occasional extra physics class in there to see how it goes...then go from there.

1. What is a double degree?

A double degree is an academic program where a student earns two separate degrees in two different fields simultaneously. This typically requires an additional year or two of study compared to a traditional single degree program.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a double degree?

Earning a double degree can provide a competitive edge in the job market, as it shows versatility, adaptability, and a diverse skill set. It also allows students to gain knowledge and skills in two different disciplines, potentially opening up more career opportunities.

3. Is a double degree worth the extra time and effort?

This depends on the individual's goals and interests. If the two fields of study complement each other and align with the student's career aspirations, then the extra time and effort can be worth it. However, if the two degrees do not have a clear connection, it may not be the most efficient use of time and resources.

4. How does a double degree affect future career prospects?

A double degree can make a candidate stand out to employers and may lead to a wider range of job opportunities. It also demonstrates dedication, determination, and a strong work ethic, which are desirable qualities in any career field.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to pursuing a double degree?

One potential drawback is the additional time and financial commitment. It may also be challenging to balance the workload and requirements of two degree programs simultaneously. It's important to carefully consider the potential benefits and challenges before committing to a double degree program.