1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double iintegral (volume) this is redicuious

1. Sep 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the volume of the solid bounded by y=2 y=x and z=4-y^2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY I'M WRONG! limits of integration for x=2 to 0 limtis of integration for y=2 to x and 4-y^2 is the integrand I ended up with 4/3 but the answer (according to the answer sheet) is 4! WHY

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2008 #2
    I think your limits of integration are wrong

The area in the xy plane is a triangle. I can't really draw it but x doesn't go from 2 to 0 if I read your limits of integration right. Also, y isn't going to go from 2 to x either.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  4. Sep 7, 2008 #3
    Wait I found it. limits for x are y to 0 and for y 2 to 0. If I went from 2 to x for y then that would be like integrating for x again, since the integral lines would be parallel to y.

5. Sep 7, 2008 #4
    I think that would work...however I believe y should go from 0 to 2 otherwise you might get a negative answer.

Here's what I have:

[tex]\int^{2}_{0}[/tex][tex]\int^{2}_{x}4 - y^{2}dydx[/tex]

With that I integrate with respect to y first and then x.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  6. Sep 7, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi evilpostingmong! :smile:
    I don't think well in 3D … :redface:

but that isn't bounded, is it? :confused:

7. Sep 7, 2008 #6
    Technically you're correct...I assume that they mean it's bounded by the axis planes...

8. Sep 7, 2008 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hmm … I always assume someone copied the question wrong :wink:

until I'm reassured! :smile:

9. Sep 7, 2008 #8
    If it's not bounded then...the volume is infinite if I am not mistaken.

10. Sep 7, 2008 #9
    It's alright, I did it out. I got 4 so these limits (x=y to x=0 and y=2 to y=0) are correct.
    I appreciate the help, but the limits you put were the same as mine (the ones I put at the first post) which would net you 4/3.
    Yes it is bounded by the xy plane.

11. Sep 7, 2008 #10
    When I did the integral with my limits I got 4.

12. Sep 7, 2008 #11
    Then I made a stupid mistake when I did the integral itself, which I'm known for, lol I just
    did it my original way (the one that we thought was wrong) and yes it is 4. Ur rite.

13. Sep 7, 2008 #12
    One mistake I made was getting to a point where I had 16x/3 and not plugging in the 2 for the x and getting a 16/3 instead of a 32/3 which changes things.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?