1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral coordinate transform

1. Aug 1, 2007 #1
    Basically I want to find the new limits w,x,y,z when we make the valid transformation

[tex]\int^{\infty}_0 \int^{\infty}_0 f(t_1,t_2) dt_1 dt_2 = \int^w_x \int^y_z f(st, s(1-t)) s dt ds[/tex]

I've tried putting in arbitrary functions f, and so getting 4 equations constraining the limits, but I end up with complicated equations involving exponentials, which I don't think I'd be able to solve. Also because of the original singular upper limits, the functions have to be of exponential form like e^(-t_1) e^(-t_2) etc... which means that I'm finding it difficult to come up with a fourth constraint which is different from the other 3 I have found...

Basically if I make a coordinate transform as above, considering a double integral as above, how do I find the new limits?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2007 #2
    You need to visualise the mapping from coordinate (s,t) to (t1,t2) (or reverse)
    with t1=st and t2=s(1-t) (or s=t1+t2 and t=t1/(t1+t2)).
    In this mapping you have to check how the boundaries are transformed,
    and to check if there is no tear in the domain.
    In case there is a tear curve, you need to divide your domain along the tear.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?