1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral of ((x^3)+1)^(1/2)

1. Apr 7, 2013 #1
    So I have to evaluate the integral from y=0 to y=1 of(the integral from x=(y^(1/2)) to x=1 of ((x^3)+1)^(1/2)dx)dy.

I've substituted the ((x^3)+1) with sec^2(u) since I used tan^2(u)=x^3. I'm wondering if this is the correct (or even a good) manner of solving this because I'm ending up with a very difficult equation to integrate anyways with odd bounds?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I dont think you can use the tan^2(u) = x^3 substitution. I've seen people use tan^2(u) = x^2 substitution where the powers are the same.

Isn't there some other substitution you've studied with cubic powers?

Perhaps you could factor x^3 + 1?

4. Apr 8, 2013 #3
    Do you mean factor x^3+1 into (x+1)(x^2-x+1)?
    Unfortunately I'm not well versed in trig sub so I'm lost on substitution with cubic powers so I'm currently looking it up.

I'm also thinking it would be easier to solve if I changed the solving for integral of f(x,y)dx first to solving integral of f(x,y)dy first

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  5. Apr 8, 2013 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try changing the order of integration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted