1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral problem help appreciated!

1. Nov 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the integral shown ( I have the file with the given integral attached here).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So what i did was change dy dx into dx dy. Then i integrated y so the whole thing becomes 2x - y^3. I plugged the values (1+x) and (1-x) into y^3. After here, I got a really complicated thing which probably means im on the wrong track. The answer given was -13/6. Can you please help? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not at all clear what you mean by "change dydx into dxdy". I thought at first you meant that you changed the order of integration so that you would be integrating with respect to x first but then you say "Then i integrated y" which I take to mean you integrated 2x- 3y2 with respect to y. The result of that is NOT, however, 2x- y3, it is 2xy- y3. Substitute y= 1+x and y= 1-x into THAT and subtract.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  4. Nov 15, 2007 #3
    yea i want to change the order of integration so it becomes dx dy. Then what do I have to do?

5. Nov 15, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You had better have a really good reason for wanting to do that! It's much messier than integrating the way you have it.

The line y= 1+ x forms the upper boundary of the region and the line y= 1-x forms the lower boundary. The vertical line x= 1 is the right boundary. (y= 1+x and y= 1-x cross at (0,1) so the two lines form the "left boundary".) The region is a triangle with vertices at (0,1), (1,2) and (1, 0).

In order to cover that region y has to go from 0 up to 2. HOWEVER the left boundary involves two different lines and so two different formulas. For y between 0 and 1, the left boundary is given by the line y= 1- x or x= 1- y. x must go from 1-y to 1 for each y. For y between 1 and 2, the left boundary is given by the line y= 1+ x or x= y-1. x must go from y-1 to 1 for each y. That means you will have to do the integral in two different parts:
    [tex]\int_{y= 0}^1\int_{x= 1-y}^1 (2x- 3y^2)dx dy+ \int_{y= 1}^2\int_{x= y-1}^1(2x-3y^2)dx dy[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?