Double Integrals in Polar Coordinates

In summary, this conversation discusses a double integral example involving a quarter circle of radius 2, with the integral being evaluated in both Cartesian and polar coordinates. The final result in both forms is 8/3. The conversation also explores the interpretation of this value, with one person suggesting it represents the first moment of area of the quarter circle about the x-axis. Another person suggests it represents the volume beneath the function f(x,y) = y in the quarter circle. The conversation also touches upon the difficulty of visualizing this integral in 3 dimensions and the helpfulness of drawing 3D graphs.
geezer73
I'm in the middle of the Great Courses Multivariable Calculus course. A double integral example involves a quarter circle, in the first quadrant, of radius 2. In Cartesian coordinates, the integrand is y dx dy and the outer integral goes from 0 to 2 and the inner from 0 to sqrt(4-y^2). In polar, the integrand is (r sin theta) r dr dtheta, with the outer going from 0 to pi/2 and inner from 0 to 2. The final result, in both forms, is 8/3.

My thinking was that this would describe the area of the quarter circle, but elementary geometry tells me the area should be pi. I'm trying to visualize what this value of 8/3 represents. Maybe this sounds stupid, but I could use some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you calculate a integral like that you ain't calculating the area. you are calculating the volume beneath ##f(x,y) = y## in the quarter circle.
##\iint 1dxdy## would be the area.

geezer73 said:
I'm in the middle of the Great Courses Multivariable Calculus course. A double integral example involves a quarter circle, in the first quadrant, of radius 2. In Cartesian coordinates, the integrand is y dx dy and the outer integral goes from 0 to 2 and the inner from 0 to sqrt(4-y^2). In polar, the integrand is (r sin theta) r dr dtheta, with the outer going from 0 to pi/2 and inner from 0 to 2. The final result, in both forms, is 8/3.

My thinking was that this would describe the area of the quarter circle, but elementary geometry tells me the area should be pi. I'm trying to visualize what this value of 8/3 represents. Maybe this sounds stupid, but I could use some help.
If you were calculating just the area of a quarter circle, the double integral would just be:

A = ∫∫ dx dy, since dA = dx dy and ∫∫ dA ≡ A

But, the integral which is actually being evaluated here is

I = ∫∫ y dx dy = ∫∫ y dA

In effect, I is the first moment of the area of the quarter circle about the x-axis.

Incand said:
When you calculate a integral like that you ain't calculating the area. you are calculating the area beneath ##f(x,y) = y## in the quarter circle.
##\iint 1dxdy## would be the area.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm still unable to visualize what the "area under y" looks like. What would it's graph be?

geezer73 said:
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm still unable to visualize what the "area under y" looks like. What would it's graph be?
sorry, edited my post quickly after. meant volume!

SteamKing said:
If you were calculating just the area of a quarter circle, the double integral would just be:

A = ∫∫ dx dy, since dA = dx dy and ∫∫ dA ≡ A

But, the integral which is actually being evaluated here is

I = ∫∫ y dx dy = ∫∫ y dA

In effect, I is the first moment of the area of the quarter circle about the x-axis.
Can this be graphed in 2 dimensions?

Incand said:
sorry, edited my post quickly after. meant volume!

So this involves the z axis?

geezer73 said:
Not really. Since f(x,y) = y for this integral, you would need to add a third dimension. The base of the figure is the quarter circle of radius 2 centered at the origin, with the heights of the surface above the base being z = y.

I think it's better to interpret this double integral as representing the first moment of area of the quarter circle about the x-axis. You don't give yourself a headache trying to visualize a 3-dimensional surface. There are more complicated integrals than this for which there are no easy visualizations.

geezer73 said:
Not really no, or at least i don't think so. But the surface f(x,y) = y would just be a plane. and you simply sum up the volume beneath it in the quarter circle.
Think of it as a circle in the plane with ##x^2+y^2=2## and a plane above it ##z-y=0 , x \in R##.

When doing multivariable calculus I find you really need to learn to draw 3d graphs, it really helps (I just finished the course myself only a week ago). If you got a lecturer, watch how he/she draws it on the board and try to copy it.

SteamKing said:
Not really. Since f(x,y) = y for this integral, you would need to add a third dimension. The base of the figure is the quarter circle of radius 2 centered at the origin, with the heights of the surface above the base being z = y.

I think it's better to interpret this double integral as representing the first moment of area of the quarter circle about the x-axis. You don't give yourself a headache trying to visualize a 3-dimensional surface. There are more complicated integrals than this for which there are no easy visualizations.

Thanks, but I'm still trying to visualize. It sounds like, if this value is a volume, its average height on the z axis would be about .85. Is this in the right ballpark?

Incand said:
Not really no, or at least i don't think so. But the surface f(x,y) = y would just be a plane. and you simply sum up the volume beneath it in the quarter circle.
Think of it as a circle in the plane with ##x^2+y^2=2## and a plane above it ##z-y=0 , x \in R##.

When doing multivariable calculus I find you really need to learn to draw 3d graphs, it really helps (I just finished the course myself only a week ago). If you got a lecturer, watch how he/she draws it on the board and try to copy it.

Thanks much. I have some 3D graphing software, so I'll spend some more time with it. It's just good to know that the integral was not as simple as a 2D area. I was losing some marbles trying to reconcile 8/3 with pi :-)

Yes that would be about right. 8/(3pi) should be the average height. you could think of it that y goes up to 2. and the average would be about 1 but since its a circle and not a square there's less area where y is big then where it is small so we get a bit less.

For a quarter circle, the centroid is located at x-bar = y-bar = 4 R / (3 π), so the first moment of area M = A * y-bar = [π R2/ 4] * [4 R / (3 π)]

M = R3 / 3

When R = 2, then M = 23 / 3 = 8/3

The π's cancel out, which is why π doesn't show up in the evaluation of this double integral.

1. What is a double integral in polar coordinates?

A double integral in polar coordinates is a method for calculating the area under a curve in a polar coordinate system. It involves integrating over a region in the polar plane using two variables, the radius (r) and the angle (θ).

2. How do you convert a double integral in Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert a double integral in Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, the following substitutions are made: x = r cos(θ) and y = r sin(θ). The limits of integration also need to be adjusted to reflect the new coordinate system.

3. What is the difference between a single and double integral in polar coordinates?

A single integral in polar coordinates involves integrating over a one-dimensional curve, while a double integral involves integrating over a two-dimensional region. Additionally, in a double integral, the integrand may contain both r and θ variables.

4. How do you determine the limits of integration for a double integral in polar coordinates?

The limits of integration for a double integral in polar coordinates depend on the shape of the region being integrated over. The inner limit is typically the smallest value of r, while the outer limit is the largest value of r. The limits for θ can be determined by drawing a diagram of the region and identifying the angles that bound the region.

5. What are some applications of double integrals in polar coordinates?

Double integrals in polar coordinates are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to calculate the area, volume, or mass of a region that has a circular or symmetric shape. They are also used in vector calculus to calculate flux and work in polar coordinates.