Iterated Integral in Polar Coordinates

• MHB
  • Thread starter harpazo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: You are doing a great job.In summary, the conversation discussed evaluating an iterated integral by converting to polar coordinates. The process involved rewriting an expression in polar form, graphing it to determine the limits of integration, and using a u-substitution to simplify the integral. The final answer was 2/3, which differed from the textbook's answer of 4/5. The conversation also touched on the importance of including negative signs when using u-substitution and the rule for reversing the limits of integration.
harpazo
Evaluate the iterated integral by converting to polar coordinates.

Let S S = interated integral symbol

S S xy dy dx

The inner integral limits are 0 to sqrt{2x - x^2}.

The outer integral limits are 0 to 2.

Solution:

I first decided to rewrite sqrt{2x - x^2} in polar form.

So, sqrt{2x - x^2} in polar form is r = 2cos(theta).

I then graphed sqrt{2x - x^2}.

From the graph, I determined that the limits of integration are follows:

r = 0 to 2cos(theta)

theta = 0 to pi/2

After working out the math, my answer is 4/5.

The textbook's answer is 2/3.

Help...

Physics news on Phys.org
\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sin(\theta)\cos(\theta)\int_0^{2\cos(\theta)} r^3\,dr\,d\theta\)

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{4}\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sin(\theta)\cos(\theta)\left(\left.r^4\right|_0^{2\cos(\theta)}\right)\,d\theta\)

\(\displaystyle I=4\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sin(\theta)\cos^5(\theta)\,d\theta\)

Let:

\(\displaystyle u=\cos(\theta)\implies du=-\sin(\theta)\,d\theta\)

\(\displaystyle I=4\int_0^1 u^5\,du=\frac{4}{6}\left(\left.u^6\right|_0^1\right)=\frac{2}{3}\)

In the future, please don't begin a new thread to continue working on a problem you have previously posted. :D

MarkFL said:
\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sin(\theta)\cos(\theta)\int_0^{2\cos(\theta)} r^3\,dr\,d\theta\)

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{4}\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sin(\theta)\cos(\theta)\left(\left.r^4\right|_0^{2\cos(\theta)}\right)\,d\theta\)

Let:

\(\displaystyle I=4\int_0^1 u^5\,du=\frac{4}{6}\left(\left.u^6\right|_0^1\right)=\frac{2}{3}\)

In the future, please don't begin a new thread to continue working on a problem you have previously posted. :D

When you did a u-sub, du = - sin(theta)d(theta).

What happened to the negative sign?

You did not include the negative sign in the integrand.

Harpazo said:
When you did a u-sub, du = - sin(theta)d(theta).

What happened to the negative sign?

You did not include the negative sign in the integrand.

This is what I did more fully explained...let's begin at this point:

Let:

Okay, we may write:

\(\displaystyle I=-4\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \cos^5(\theta)(-\sin(\theta))\,d\theta\)

Now, the limits of integration are in terms of $\theta$, but we want them now in terms of $u$, so we use:

\(\displaystyle u(\theta)=\cos(\theta)\)

And so:

\(\displaystyle u(0)=\cos(0)=1\)

\(\displaystyle u\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right)=\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right)=0\)

And so after rewriting the integral in terms of $u$, we have:

\(\displaystyle I=-4\int_1^0 u^5\,du\)

Now, using the rule (which follows immediately from the anti-derivative form of the FTOC):

\(\displaystyle \int_a^b f(x)\,dx=-\int_b^a f(x)\,dx\)

We now have:

\(\displaystyle I=4\int_0^1 u^5\,du\)

MarkFL said:
This is what I did more fully explained...let's begin at this point:

Let:

Okay, we may write:

\(\displaystyle I=-4\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \cos^5(\theta)(-\sin(\theta))\,d\theta\)

Now, the limits of integration are in terms of $\theta$, but we want them now in terms of $u$, so we use:

\(\displaystyle u(\theta)=\cos(\theta)\)

And so:

\(\displaystyle u(0)=\cos(0)=1\)

\(\displaystyle u\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right)=\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right)=0\)

And so after rewriting the integral in terms of $u$, we have:

\(\displaystyle I=-4\int_1^0 u^5\,du\)

Now, using the rule (which follows immediately from the anti-derivative form of the FTOC):

\(\displaystyle \int_a^b f(x)\,dx=-\int_b^a f(x)\,dx\)

We now have:

\(\displaystyle I=4\int_0^1 u^5\,du\)

Thanks. Your reply to each question is interestingly unique and detailed. This is what I seek from every person here. I am learning calculus 3 on my own. I am not a student. Your detailed answers are wonderful and helpful.

1. What is an iterated integral?

An iterated integral is a mathematical concept that involves integrating a function over a certain region, and then integrating that result over another region. It is used to find the volume, area, or other quantities of multi-dimensional objects.

2. How is an iterated integral different from a regular integral?

An iterated integral is different from a regular integral in that it involves integrating over multiple dimensions, rather than just one. This means that instead of integrating over a single interval or curve, an iterated integral involves integrating over a region in multiple dimensions.

3. What is the order of integration in an iterated integral?

The order of integration in an iterated integral refers to the order in which the integrals are performed. For example, in a double integral, the order can be either "dx dy" or "dy dx". The order is important because it can affect the final result of the integral.

4. What are the applications of iterated integrals?

Iterated integrals have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are commonly used to find volumes of irregularly shaped objects, surface areas of curved surfaces, and to calculate probabilities in statistics and probability theory.

5. Can an iterated integral be evaluated using any method?

No, not all integrals can be evaluated using the same methods. The method used to evaluate an iterated integral depends on the type of integral and the region over which it is being integrated. Some common methods include the use of double or triple integrals, change of variables, and the use of polar or spherical coordinates.