1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Integrals - interpreting what are my boundaries?

1. Apr 21, 2008 #1
    Hmm ...

The solid enclosed by the parabolic cylinders y=1-x^2, y=x^2-1 and the planes x+y+z=2, 2x+2y-z+10=0 by subtracting two volumes.

Ok, so I know what my limits should be from the parabolic cylinders, but how was I supposed to know that the 2x+2y-z+10=0 plane doesn't play a role in my integral? When I was initially doing this problem, I thought I had to subtract the top plane from the bottom plane (lol I know, but I was just trying things).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2008 #2
    If you are doing this in 2-d i.e. using dx.dy
    the plane only define height (so nothing to do with limits)
    Remember: Areas and volumes

4. Apr 22, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If the planes form the "top" and "bottom" you can do this in either of two ways:
    The integral
    [tex]\int\int \int_{f(x,y)}^{g(x,y)} dzdydx= \int\int (g(x,y)- f(x,y))dydx[/tex]
    The integral of dzdxdy is just the integral of the limits for z integrated with respect to x and y.

If, as I said, the planes for the top and bottom, solve their equations for z and ust those for g(x,y) and f(x,y). As for the integration in the xy plane, determine where the parabolas intersect, integrate between those x vaues and for the dy integral, integrate from y= x2-1 to y= 1- x2.

5. Apr 22, 2008 #4
    Halls, this exercise is in the double-integral section, but I do love triple :)

Question though ... so I have it set up as

[tex]-2\int_0^1\int_0^{1-x^2}(x+y-2)dydy[/tex]

Can I not take advantage of symmetry? B/c everywhere I look has it as ... [tex]\int_{-1}^1\int_{x^2-1}^{1-x^2}(2-x-y)dydx[/tex] or am I just messing up my algebra?

6. Apr 22, 2008 #5
    I meant -4

7. Apr 22, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Have you calculated those two integrals to see if they are different?

8. Apr 23, 2008 #7
    Uh huh ...

[tex]-4\int_0^1\int_0^{1-x^2}(x+y-2)dydx[/tex]

[tex]-4\int_0^1\left[x(1-x^2)+\frac{(1-x^2)^2}{2}-2(1-x^2)\right]dx[/tex]

[tex]-4\left(\frac 1 2-\frac 1 4+\frac{1-\frac 2 3+\frac 1 5}{2}-2+\frac 2 3\right)=\frac{49}{15}[/tex]

Answer = 64/3

I guess I can't take advantage of symmetry on this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?