1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Integration: Can I finish?

1. Feb 22, 2012 #1

Char. Limit

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the integral by making an appropriate change of variable: [itex]\int \int_R (x + y) e^{x^2 - y^2} dA[/itex], where R is the rectangle enclosed by the lines x-y=0, x-y=2, x+y=0, and x+y=3

2. Relevant equations
    If x=x(u,v) and y=y(u,v), then [itex]\int \int f(x,y) dx dy = \int \int g(u,v) |J(u,v)| du dv[/itex], where J(u,v) is the Jacobian determinant of x and y wrt u and v.

3. The attempt at a solution

So, I begin by selecting my u and v as u=x+y and v=x-y, which gives my bounds as a nice rectangle: 0<v<2 and 0<u<3. With that, I get my new function as:

[tex]\int_0^2 \int_0^3 u e^{u v} |J(u,v)| du dv[/tex]

Finding the Jacobian, I get it to be -1/2, and thus |J(u,v)| = 1/2. Okay, so far so good. I take my first integration:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \int_0^2 \left(\frac{u}{v} e^{u v} - \frac{1}{v^2} e^{u v}\right)|_0^3 dv = \frac{1}{2} \int_0^2 \frac{3 e^{3v}}{v} - \frac{e^{3v}}{v^2} + \frac{1}{v^2} dv[/tex]

Now, at this point I realized I should have changed the order of integration. However, I'm wondering if I can still find this integral. The first two terms look suspiciously like the derivative of e^(3v)/v, after all... so my question is, is it still easy to continue from here, or should I just start all over and change the order of integration?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2012 #2
    Yes, the first two terms are the derivative of [itex]\displaystyle\frac{e^{3v}}{v}[/itex]. Rewrite them as such and simply use the Fundamental Theorems of Calculus. It is find the way it is.

4. Feb 23, 2012 #3

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Excellent! I finished the second half of the problem and got (e^6 - 7)/4 as my answer. Danke!

5. Feb 23, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

From your sig:
    Yeah, right...:smile:

6. Feb 23, 2012 #5

Char. Limit

Gold Member

But it's true! Albeit indirectly and not from PF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook