Double Integration, finding Area

In summary, the problem requires finding the double integral of \int\int_{A} xdxdy, where A is the area between two functions y=x^2 and y=2x+8, with points of intersection at x=-2 and x=4. The integral can be solved by summing the two separate areas, with x ranging between the two sides of the parabola and the straight line, or by integrating in the order of dydx, with x ranging from -2 to 4 and y ranging from x^2 to 2x+8. The latter method is simpler and more natural.
dalarev
[SOLVED] Double Integration, finding Area

Homework Statement

Find: [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int_{A} xdxdy[/tex] , where A is the area between [tex]y=x^2[/tex] and [tex]y=2x+8[/tex]

Homework Equations

The points of intersection of the two functions is at [tex]x=-2[/tex] and at [tex]x=4[/tex]. Attached is a plot with the area asked to find.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm seeing a problem with the x limits of integration changing at x=-2, one of their intersections. I am pretty sure this can be done by summing the 2 areas separately, but the problem asks to solve for the double integral.

Attachments

• asda.JPG
    asda.JPG
    7.4 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
IF you were to integrate [itex]\int \int x dx dy[/itex], yes, you would have to do it as two separate integrals: as y goes from 0 to 4, x must range between the two sides of the parabola, [itex]x= -\sqrt{y}[/itex] and [itex]x= \sqrt{y}[/itex]. For y between 4 and 16, x ranges from the straight line on the left to the parabola on the right: [itex]x= (1/2)y- 4[/itex] . The integral is given by
[tex]\int_{y=0}^4\int_{x= -\sqrt{y}}^{\sqrt{y}}x dxdy+ \int_{y= 4}^{16}\int_{x= y/2- 4}^{\sqrt{y}} xdxdy[/tex]

Are you required to do it in that order? The other order, dydx, would seem to me simpler and more natural. In this case, x must range from -2 to 4 and, for every x, y ranges from [itex]x^2[/itex] to 2x+ 8. In that order, the integral is
[tex]\int_{x= -2}^4\int_{y= x^2}^{2x+ 8} x dydx[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
Are you required to do it in that order? The other order, dydx, would seem to me simpler and more natural. In this case, x must range from -2 to 4 and, for every x, y ranges from [itex]x^2[/itex] to 2x+ 8. In that order, the integral is
[tex]\int_{x= -2}^4\int_{y= x^2}^{2x+ 8} x dydx[/tex]

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. I often get too caught up in small details that prevent me from even starting the problem. This was pretty straightforward once I reversed the order of integration. Once again, thanks for your thorough help. /SOLVED

1. What is double integration?

Double integration is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve in a two-dimensional plane. It involves taking the integral of an integral, hence the term "double" integration.

2. How is double integration used to find area?

Double integration is used to find the area under a curve by dividing the curve into small rectangles and approximating the area of each rectangle. The sum of these approximated areas gives an estimate of the total area under the curve.

3. What is the difference between single and double integration?

The main difference is that single integration is used to find the area under a curve in one dimension, while double integration is used to find the area under a curve in two dimensions. Single integration involves taking the integral of a function, while double integration involves taking the integral of an integral.

4. What are the applications of double integration?

Double integration has many applications in mathematics and science. It is commonly used in physics to calculate the work done by a variable force, in economics to calculate consumer and producer surplus, and in engineering to find the moment of inertia of an object, among others.

5. What are some common techniques for solving double integration problems?

Some common techniques for solving double integration problems include using the properties of integrals, such as linearity and substitution, and using integration by parts. It is also important to have a good understanding of basic integration rules and techniques, such as u-substitution and integration by trigonometric substitution.