1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Integration - Finding the limits

1. Nov 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the limits of the integral of z = f(x,y) over the region bounded by the x-axis, and the semi-circle x2 + y2 = 4, y ≥ 0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Where do I start on this question? I can't understand what it is asking.

Am I supposed to find a,b,c,d limits of the double integrals? If so, can you please point me in the right direction. I am completely lost.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It seems simple enought to me. x2+ y2= 4 gives a circle with center at (0, 0) and radius 4. You are asked to integrate over the top half of that: y> 0.

Since the problem specifically said "find the limitsof integration", yes, that is what you are supposed to do! I recommend that you start by drawing the graph.

Remember that, since the final result is a number, the limits of integration on outer integral must be numbers. It will be simplest to integrate over y first then x so the limits of integration must be values of x. What is the smallest x value in this region? That will be the lower limit. What is the largest x value in this region? That will be the upper limit.

The "inner" integral is with respect to y so the limits may be functions of x. Draw a vertical line on your graph representing some value of x. What is the y value of the lower end of that line? That is the lower limit on the integral. What is the y value on the upper end of that line (a function of x)? That is the upper limit on the integral.
  4. Nov 5, 2008 #3
    Ok that is much more clear now. Thank you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?