Double-Slit Experiment: Wave or Particle?

In summary: Personally, I find it easier to just not worry about it.In summary, the difference between photons (which don't have wavefunctions), and electrons or other massive particles (which do have wavefunctions), manifests itself in the fact that photons are not affected by the interference pattern created by the semi-transparent mirrors and the slits.
Planck1900
In the double-slit experiment, as I understand it, a single photon is fired towards a pair of semi transparent mirrors (mirror A and B). If passing through mirror A, the photon will take route A, which leads through slit A. If passing through mirror B, the photon will take route B, which leads through slit B.

This, however, is true only if the path of the photon is detected. If not, the photon existed only as a wave of possibillity, and as such it would pass through both slits, interfere with itself and create an interference pattern. (This is put in very simple terms, neglecting the mathematical implications and complications...)

My question is, how can you fire a single photon if the photon exist only as a wave of possibility until measured/detected?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When the photon is eventually detected, you detect 1 photon, and so you can infer that you shot out 1 photon. =]

Planck1900 said:
In the double-slit experiment, as I understand it, a single photon is fired towards a pair of semi transparent mirrors (mirror A and B). If passing through mirror A, the photon will take route A, which leads through slit A. If passing through mirror B, the photon will take route B, which leads through slit B.

This, however, is true only if the path of the photon is detected. If not, the photon existed only as a wave of possibillity, and as such it would pass through both slits, interfere with itself and create an interference pattern. (This is put in very simple terms, neglecting the mathematical implications and complications...)

My question is, how can you fire a single photon if the photon exist only as wave of possibility until measured/detected?

What about turning the question around and ask, how can there be a "wave" when there is such a thing as a which-way experiment for photons?

http://people.whitman.edu/~beckmk/QM/grangier/Thorn_ajp.pdf

Zz.

Yes, but when you have an interference pattern (i.e. you didn't determine the path of the photon), what did you shoot? A wave of possibillity?
And why isn't there a pre-slit interference pattern, caused by the semi-transparent mirrors (that would disturb the post-slit dito)?

Planck1900 said:
Yes, but when you have an interference pattern (i.e. you didn't determine the path of the photon), what did you shoot? A wave of possibillity?
And why isn't there a pre-slit interference pattern, caused by the semi-transparent mirrors (that would disturb the post-slit dito)?

Again, you don't really need a physical, classical wave, at least in QM, to cause such a phenomenon. The Marcella paper that I've highlighted many times[1] shows how you can get such interference pattern, all using QM. Furthermore, look up Feynman's path integral method. The interference here isn't due to a wave, but rather the "interference" of the probabilities of both path being possible.

Zz.

[1] T.V. Marcella Eur. J. Phys. v.23, p.615 (2002). http://arxiv.org/ftp/quant-ph/papers/0703/0703126.pdf"

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so what is being shot away is actually a probability wave that can either remain as such, or become a particle, depending on whether it's detected not? And, again, if so, shouldn't there be two interference patterns; One between the semi-transparent mirrors and the slits, and a second one between the slits and the fluorenscent screen?

Last edited:
No, what is shot away is a photon. And photons are neither (classical) particles nor (classical) waves (also, note that there is no such thing as a wavefunction for a photon, so this is actually not just a "philosophical" point),
(a "correct" technical description of what a photons is goes something like this: "A temporally-spatially localized excitation of the vacuum", this is what is usually used in e.g. papers dealing with single photon detectors)

The "trick" here is to realize that there is no way you can understand QM using classical concepts. Everyone finds this very confusing at first, but After a few years you get used to it.

f95toli said:
No, what is shot away is a photon. And photons are neither (classical) particles nor (classical) waves (also, note that there is no such thing as a wavefunction for a photon, so this is actually not just a "philosophical" point),

I've actually wondered about this for a while .. does the difference between photons (which don't have wavefunctions), and electrons or other massive particles (which do have wavefunctions), manifest itself in any experimentally detectable way in a double-slit experiment? I am guessing that the answer is "no", but either way it seems to me that the answer to this question might have relevance for questions about the reality of the wavefunction.

The "trick" here is to realize that there is no way you can understand QM using classical concepts. Everyone finds this very confusing at first, but After a few years you get used to it.

Well .. some people never get used to it, but are willing to accept it at least temporarily ... other people aren't even willing to accept it ... :wink:

Last edited:
Ok, I get it. But if in my main question "photon" is replaced with "electron", what is your answer to it then?

Planck1900 said:
Ok, I get it. But if in my main question "photon" is replaced with "electron", what is your answer to it then?

You can replace it with electrons, protons, neutrons, buckyballs, 10^11 electrons in a SQUID device, etc... it doesn't matter. As long as they can be described as quantum entities, they have the same general description and phenomena.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You can replace it with electrons, protons, neutrons, buckyballs, 10^11 electrons in a SQUID device, etc... it doesn't matter. As long as they can be described as quantum entities, they have the same general description and phenomena.

Zz.

Of course. I remember now. Electrons, and all quantum entities, reside in transcendent potentia (as possibility waves) beyond space and time, as Heisenberg once noted.

So, again, this would mean that what is being shot in the double-slit experiment is a possible electron (actually being a possibility wave), manifesting its particle nature if, and only if, measured. And if measured (i.e. its path is determined), the electron not only becomes a particle, but also was a particle when shot--retrospectively. Am I right, or have I missed something here?

Planck1900 said:
Of course. I remember now. Electrons, and all quantum entities, reside in transcendent potentia (as possibility waves) beyond space and time, as Heisenberg once noted.

Er.. what?

Free electrons or any other free particles, do not "reside" in any potential, by definition.

So, again, this would mean that what is being shot in the double-slit experiment is a possible electron (actually being a possibility wave), manifesting its particle nature if, and only if, measured. And if measured (i.e. its path is determined), the electron not only becomes a particle, but also was a particle when shot--retrospectively. Am I right, or have I missed something here?

Electron interference, neutron interference, buckyball interference, etc. have all been observed. LEED (low energy electron diffraction), for example, is a common tools to study the crystal orientation of materials.

You should read the FAQ thread in the General Physics forum to see why there really is no such thing as "wave-particle duality" here.

Zz.

Related to Double-Slit Experiment: Wave or Particle?

1. What is the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is a physics experiment that was first performed in the early 1800s to demonstrate the wave-like nature of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two narrow slits and observing the resulting pattern on a screen behind the slits.

2. Is light a wave or a particle in the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment showed that light exhibits both wave-like and particle-like behavior. When the experiment is conducted with a single slit, the light behaves like a wave and creates an interference pattern. However, when the experiment is conducted with two slits, the light behaves like a particle and creates a diffraction pattern.

3. How does the double-slit experiment prove the wave-particle duality of light?

The double-slit experiment demonstrates that light can behave like a wave and a particle at the same time. This is known as the wave-particle duality of light. The experiment showed that the behavior of light is dependent on the way it is observed, and that it cannot be fully described by either a wave or a particle model.

4. Can the double-slit experiment be performed with other particles besides light?

Yes, the double-slit experiment has been performed with other particles such as electrons, protons, and even large molecules like buckyballs. These experiments have also shown the wave-particle duality of these particles, further confirming the fundamental nature of quantum mechanics.

5. What are the implications of the double-slit experiment for our understanding of the universe?

The double-slit experiment has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It challenges our traditional understanding of the behavior of particles and forces us to think about the world in terms of quantum mechanics. It also raises questions about the nature of reality and the role of consciousness in the observation of particles.