Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doubt about condition solutions of complex line equation

1. Dec 10, 2014 #1
    Dear All,
    Please help me clear some doubts about Theorem 3.3.1 in the 1st attachment.
    The condition ## |a| = |b| ## has only 8 cases right? ## { x+iy. x - iy, -x + iy, -x - iy, y + ix, y - ix, -y + ix, -y - ix } ##

so for the condition ## |a| = |b| ## and ## b \bar c = \bar a c ## in (2) and (3) in the attachement, what must ##b## and ##\bar a## be for them to to satisfy this equation given that C is a complex number of the form ## Cx + iCy ##.

why is there a line of solutions in (3)? usually you only get one imaginary and one real value for z right??

In the 2nd attachement, I have tried to do question 3. what does in the direction of b mean? does it pass through b also?? c =0 right? can you please give examples of the complex number b?

Danke...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, and how are x + iy, x - iy, etc. conditions? These are complex numbers. I don't see that they are conditions in any way. For example, consider a = 0 + 1i and b = -1/2 + (√3/2)i. These two complex numbers have the same magnitude, but I don't see how they are included in your eight cases, whatever it is you mean by them.

b is a complex number, so you can think of it as being a vector, with its tail at the origin and its head at the point in the complex point (b1, b2). What direction does it point?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook