Complex Number Solutions for |z+1| = |z+i| and |z| = 5

In summary, the conversation discussed a question from a competitive entrance exam regarding the number of complex numbers that satisfy certain conditions. The approach involved using algebraic calculations and graphing techniques, both resulting in the conclusion that there are 2 solutions.
matrixone
This is a question from a competitive entrance exam ...I just want to check whether my approach is correct as i don't have the answer keys .

here is the question :

How many complex numbers z are there such that |z+ 1| = |z+i| and |z| = 5?
(A) 0
(B) 1
(C) 2
(D) 3

My approach :
let z = x+iy
Now, using |z+ 1| = |z+i|,
|(x+1)+iy| = |x+(y+1)i|
Simplifying this, i got x=y...(1)

and since |z| = 5 , we have √(x2+y2) = 5
which means (x2+y2) = 25 ...(2)

Now, plugging (1) in (2) , we get

x2 = (25/2)

therefore x can take 2 values similarly y also can take 2 values...
and since x=y in the complex number ...we have 2 solutions and hence the answer is 2

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello m1, :welcome:

I would do it exactly the same way. Does that help ?
(An alternative, graphical approach is to draw a circle in the complex plane and pick the two points that have this property)

Likes matrixone
BvU said:
Hello m1, :welcome:

I would do it exactly the same way. Does that help ?
(An alternative, graphical approach is to draw a circle in the complex plane and pick the two points that have this property)
Thank you sir ...but just a thought about your alternative ,
i would have to pick points in the circle centered at origin having radius 5 which are equidistant from (0,1) and (1,0) ...but doesn't that pursues the same algebraic calculations ? So its not an easier alternative in any sense right ?

matrixone said:
to pick points in the circle centered at origin having radius 5
for which a translation +1 on the real axis ends up at the same distance from the origin as a translation +1 on the imaginary axis
upload_2017-2-28_16-58-56.png

And yes, it's the same thing as what you do algebraically.

matrixone said:
Thank you sir ...but just a thought about your alternative ,
i would have to pick points in the circle centered at origin having radius 5 which are equidistant from (0,1) and (1,0) ...but doesn't that pursues the same algebraic calculations ? So its not an easier alternative in any sense right ?
Yes, except that the possible z solutions should be equidistant from -1 and -i. It's lucky that your answers are the same.

Following up on FactChecker's post, the number lies on the bisector, i.e., the line bisecting the segment from -1 to i , which is the x-axis. You can see that there are two solutions.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of both a real part and an imaginary part. They are typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i being the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. How are complex numbers used in science?

Complex numbers are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are particularly useful in studying systems with oscillatory behavior, such as electrical circuits and waves.

3. What is the significance of complex number solutions?

Complex number solutions are important because they allow us to solve equations that have no real solutions. They also have practical applications in signal processing, control systems, and quantum mechanics.

4. How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply add or subtract the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (2 + 3i) + (4 + 2i) = (2+4) + (3i+2i) = 6 + 5i.

5. How do you multiply and divide complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, you use the FOIL method, just like you would with binomials. For example, (2 + 3i)(4 + 2i) = 8 + 4i + 12i + 6i^2 = 8 + 16i - 6 = 2 + 16i. To divide complex numbers, you use rationalization, similar to dividing fractions. For example, (2+3i) / (4+2i) = (2+3i)(4-2i) / (4+2i)(4-2i) = (8+4i+12i+6i^2) / (16-4i^2) = (2+16i) / 20 = 1/5 + (4/5)i.