Show this matrix is isomorphic to complex number

In summary: That is, every non-zero complex number has a unique matrix associated with itI'm assuming you meant to show that the function θ is an isomorphism between S and $\mathbb C^*$, not just that S is isomorphic to $\mathbb C^*$.In summary, the conversation discusses showing that the set of matrices with a specific form is isomorphic to the group of non-zero complex numbers. The conversation also mentions the function θ and how it is both injective and surjective, making it an isomorphism between the two groups.
Confusedalways
So the question is show that
$$S=\left\{ \begin{pmatrix} a & b\\ -b & a \end{pmatrix} :a,b \in \Bbb{R} ,\text{ not both zero}\right\}$$ is isomorphic to $\Bbb{C}^*$, which is a non-zero complex number considered as a group under multiplication

So I've shown that it is a group homomorphism by showing how if
$$θ: x+iy → \begin{pmatrix} x & y\\ -y & x \end{pmatrix}$$ then I proved that
θ((x1+iy1 )(x2 +iy2))=θ(x1+iy1)θ(x2+iy2)

But I'm stuck on how to show it is both injective and surjective to prove it's an isomorphism?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Confusedalways,

Doesn't every matrix in S have a unique complex number associated with it through θ?
In other words, every matrix in S has at least one (surjective) and at most one (injective) original in $\mathbb C^*$.

Your title, "Show this matrix is isomorphic to complex number" puzzled me! Individual matrices are not "isomorphic" to anything. What you mean is "Show that the group of all non-zero matrices of this form is isomorphic to the group of all non-zero complex numbers" with multiplication as operation.

That your function is "injective" and "surjective" follows immediately from the definitions.
A function, f, is "injective" if and only if f(x)= f(y) implies x= y. Here, x and y are the given type of matrices. Let [tex]x= \begin{pmatrix} a & -b \\ b & a \end{pmatrix}[/tex] and [tex]y= \begin{pmatrix}a' & -b' \\ b' & a'\end{pmatrix}[/tex]. Then f(x)= a+ bi= f(y)= a'+ b'i. It immediately follows that a= a' and b= b' so that x= y.

A function, f, is "surjective" if and only if, for any y in its range space, there exist x in its domain space, such that f(x)= y. Take y to be the generic a+ ib. It is immediately follows that [tex]x= \begin{pmatrix}a & -b \\ b & a\end{pmatrix}[/tex] is the correct x.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used in mathematics to represent linear transformations and to solve systems of linear equations.

What does it mean for a matrix to be isomorphic to a complex number?

When a matrix is isomorphic to a complex number, it means that there is a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the matrix and the complex numbers. This allows us to perform operations on the matrix as if it were a complex number.

How can I show that a matrix is isomorphic to a complex number?

To show that a matrix is isomorphic to a complex number, you can use the properties of complex numbers, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, to perform operations on the matrix. If the resulting matrix follows the same rules as complex numbers, then it is isomorphic to a complex number.

Why is it important to prove that a matrix is isomorphic to a complex number?

Proving that a matrix is isomorphic to a complex number can help us solve problems that involve complex numbers using matrix operations. It also allows us to generalize the properties of complex numbers to matrices, making it easier to work with them in various applications.

Are all matrices isomorphic to complex numbers?

No, not all matrices are isomorphic to complex numbers. It is only possible for square matrices with the same number of rows and columns to be isomorphic to complex numbers. Additionally, the elements of the matrix must follow the same rules as complex numbers, such as obeying the commutative and distributive properties.