Dover Books on (insert subject) Lack of Use

• Thread starter Cod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary: Byron Jr. and R. Fuller.In summary, the books that I've used for self-study, review, and as a supplemental text are more than suffeccient primary text in my mind. I've come up with a few reasons why the books may not be utilized as primary course text...such as price (big schools want publishers to get big money) and lack of examples (in some cases).
Cod
Why don't more colleges/universities utilize Dover Books as course texts? The books I've used for self-study, review, and as a supplemental text are more than suffeccient primary text in my mind. I've come up with a few reasons why the books may not be utilized as primary course text...such as price (big schools want publishers to get big money) and lack of examples (in some cases). Has anyone ever been required to use a Dover Book as a primary text (undergraduate or graduate)? How about as a secondary text?

Question just came to mind this morning when I was going over some integration stuff.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good question. I've never used a Dover book as a primary text, and only a few times was one recommended for supplimental material. I do own many because I just can't resist a good book at a good price.

Personally, I've never seen a Dover book that would be a better text than the best modern teaching textbooks. However, I have to believe that examples could be found.

One key point is that the Dover books tend to be older classics and many fields/subjects have made significant advancements in applications and methodology.

I have used in QM2 Messiah's textbook, but the course itself is quite eclectic and not given from one textbook. (and if I may add the course was quite a mess, and I hope to get better grade in the summer second chance exam).

At Yale, Math 260 (the second semester Mathematical Physics course) uses "Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics", a Dover book. by Byron Jr. and R. Fuller.

I used Special Functions by Lebedev in an advanced course when I was in school, it was and still is the best and most affordable book out there on the subject.

Most of the Dover books are not used due to a lack of modernization in pedagogy. They are good for self-studying though.

I was taking a look at some of the advanced undergraduate text on Dover's website and some of them may be too rigorous for today's students.

1. Why are there "Dover Books on (insert subject) Lack of Use"?

Dover Books on (insert subject) Lack of Use are books that were published by Dover Publications but have not been widely used or sold.

2. Are these books outdated or irrelevant?

Not necessarily. The lack of use could be due to a variety of reasons such as low marketing efforts or limited availability in certain regions. The content of the books may still be relevant and useful.

3. Can I trust the information in these books?

Yes, Dover Publications is a reputable publisher and the information in their books goes through a rigorous editorial process. However, it is always important to critically evaluate and verify information from any source.

4. Should I still consider purchasing these books?

It depends on your specific needs and interests. If the topic is important to you and the book covers it comprehensively, then it may still be worth purchasing. However, you may also want to consider more recent publications on the same subject.

5. How can I find out more about the content of these books?

You can read reviews and descriptions of the books online or visit a library or bookstore to browse through them. You can also contact Dover Publications directly for more information.