1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prob/Stats Thoughts on "Weighing the Odds" by David Williams?

1. Aug 28, 2016 #1
    https://www.amazon.ca/Weighing-Odds-Course-Probability-Statistics/dp/052100618X

The full title is: Weighing the Odds: A Course in Probability and Statistics

I was interested in using this book as an undergraduate text for learning probability/statistics. I am almost completed my BSc in Physics and have taken other math courses (e.g. multivariable calculus, complex variables, PDE) and have been introduced to basic probability/statistics. Is this text lacking in any way? I've heard it could use more problems—do you have any suggestions this (i.e. problem database with solutions)?

Any further recommendations after this book?

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2016 #2
    Never seen this textbook, but the standard is Ross: An Introduction In Probability.

4. Aug 29, 2016 #3

ibkev

Gold Member

There's a new one from David Morin that is relatively inexpensive and that I have high hopes for:

https://www.amazon.com/Probability-Enthusiastic-Beginner-David-Morin/dp/1523318678

A hallmark of Morin's 2 other texts (Classical Mechanics and his update to Purcell's Electricity and Magnetism) is that he incorporates a large number of problems with solutions.

5. Aug 29, 2016 #4
    Thank you both for your input. A class I will be taking soon follows the text I mentioned above very closely, which is why I was asking about it. Knowing ahead of time if it is necessary to supplement my linked textbook with other materials based on others' experiences would have been nice, although it doesn't seem like a very popular book haha.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted