Thoughts on "Weighing the Odds" by David Williams?

• Prob/Stats
  • Thread starter TheCanadian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thoughts
In summary, the conversation discusses the book "Weighing the Odds: A Course in Probability and Statistics" as a potential undergraduate text for learning probability and statistics. The person asking the question is wondering if the book is lacking in any way and if there are any recommendations for additional resources. Another person suggests the textbook "An Introduction to Probability" by Ross and a new book by David Morin that incorporates a large number of problems with solutions. The person asking the question thanks them for their input and mentions that the book is closely followed in a class they will be taking.
TheCanadian
https://www.amazon.com/dp/052100618X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The full title is: Weighing the Odds: A Course in Probability and Statistics

I was interested in using this book as an undergraduate text for learning probability/statistics. I am almost completed my BSc in Physics and have taken other math courses (e.g. multivariable calculus, complex variables, PDE) and have been introduced to basic probability/statistics. Is this text lacking in any way? I've heard it could use more problems—do you have any suggestions this (i.e. problem database with solutions)?

Any further recommendations after this book?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Never seen this textbook, but the standard is Ross: An Introduction In Probability.

There's a new one from David Morin that is relatively inexpensive and that I have high hopes for:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1523318678/?tag=pfamazon01-20

A hallmark of Morin's 2 other texts (Classical Mechanics and his update to Purcell's Electricity and Magnetism) is that he incorporates a large number of problems with solutions.

ibkev said:
There's a new one from David Morin that is relatively inexpensive and that I have high hopes for:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1523318678/?tag=pfamazon01-20

A hallmark of Morin's 2 other texts (Classical Mechanics and his update to Purcell's Electricity and Magnetism) is that he incorporates a large number of problems with solutions.

MidgetDwarf said:
Never seen this textbook, but the standard is Ross: An Introduction In Probability.

Thank you both for your input. A class I will be taking soon follows the text I mentioned above very closely, which is why I was asking about it. Knowing ahead of time if it is necessary to supplement my linked textbook with other materials based on others' experiences would have been nice, although it doesn't seem like a very popular book haha.

1. What is the main thesis of "Weighing the Odds"?

The main thesis of "Weighing the Odds" is that probability and statistics play a crucial role in our everyday lives, and understanding them can help us make more informed decisions.

2. Who is David Williams and what are his qualifications?

David Williams is a professor of mathematics at the University of Manitoba, Canada. He holds a PhD in mathematics and has published numerous papers and books in the field of probability and statistics.

3. How does "Weighing the Odds" relate to other popular books on probability and statistics?

"Weighing the Odds" stands out from other popular books on probability and statistics because it presents complex concepts in a clear and accessible manner, making it suitable for readers with no prior knowledge in the subject.

4. What are some key takeaways from "Weighing the Odds"?

Some key takeaways from "Weighing the Odds" include understanding the difference between correlation and causation, the importance of sample size in statistical analysis, and the concept of expected value in decision making.

5. Is "Weighing the Odds" suitable for readers with no background in mathematics?

Yes, "Weighing the Odds" is written in a way that is accessible to readers with no background in mathematics. The author uses real-world examples and avoids complex mathematical equations, making it a great read for anyone interested in probability and statistics.