Down quarks force vs ten tonnes truck force

In summary, the conversation revolved around comparing the strength of the strong force between two down quarks and the force of attraction between two quarks, which was stated to be equivalent to the weight of a ten tonne truck. It was discussed that the electrostatic repulsion between two down quarks can be calculated using the equation F = k(q1q2)/r^2, and that the magnitude of the constant k is 9 x 10^9. However, it was clarified that the value of 25.3N calculated by the speaker was for electrostatic repulsion, not the strong force attraction between two down quarks. It was also mentioned that directly calculating the strong force is not easy, and that it is
Orion78
I have calculated that the strong repulsive force between two down quarks is 25.3N.
A book that I am reading said that the force of attraction between two quarks is 'equivalent to the weight of a ten tonne truck’, whose force is equals to 98000N. How can I compare the values of these two forces to explain the significance of the relative magnitude of the strong force. Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe what you have calculated is the electrostatic repulsion, not the strong force attraction.
Did you use [tex] F = k \frac {q_1 q_2}{r^2}, [/tex] where [itex] k = \frac {1}{4\piε_o} [/itex]?

yes, I used that equation to calculate the force of repulsion but with –ke = 9.0 x 10^9 N m^2 C^-2. How can I compare the values of this repulsion force between the two down quarks with the gravitational force of a 10 tonnes tanck in order to explain the significance of the relative magnitude of the strong force?

That's right, [itex] \frac{1}{4πε_o} [/itex] has magnitude [itex] 9 [/itex] x [itex] 10^9 [/itex]. [itex] 25.3 N [/itex] is not the strong force attraction between two down quarks, it is the magnitude of electrostatic repulsion. This is why this number and 98000N are not very comparable.

Direct calculation of the strong force is not too easy:
See http://home.fnal.gov/~cheung/rtes/RTESWeb/LQCD_site/pages/calculatingtheforces.htm

I think perhaps what the question wants you to recognise that at such small distances, of the order of [itex] fm [/itex], the nuclear scale, this force is incredibly huge. (in fact, if one tries to pull quarks apart, in order to give isolated quarks, you will find you can't. Instead when the potential energy is enough will result in a quark-antiquark pair)

Thanks caf123, that's was very helpful!

Related to Down quarks force vs ten tonnes truck force

What is a down quark?

A down quark is a fundamental particle that is one of the building blocks of matter. It is a type of subatomic particle that is found within protons and neutrons.

What is ten tonnes truck force?

Ten tonnes truck force refers to a unit of force or weight measurement that is equivalent to 10,000 kilograms or 22,046 pounds. It is often used to describe the weight or force of large vehicles or objects.

How does the force of a down quark compare to the force of a ten tonnes truck?

The force of a down quark is much, much smaller than the force of a ten tonnes truck. The force of a down quark is measured in units called newtons, while the force of a ten tonnes truck is measured in kilograms. A down quark has a force of about 1.6 x 10^-16 newtons, while a ten tonnes truck has a force of about 98,000 newtons.

What determines the force of a down quark?

The force of a down quark is determined by the strong nuclear force, which is one of the four fundamental forces of nature. The strong nuclear force is responsible for holding together the protons and neutrons in an atom's nucleus, and it is the force that binds quarks together to form particles like protons and neutrons.

How does the force of a down quark affect everyday objects like a ten tonnes truck?

The force of a down quark does not have a direct effect on everyday objects like a ten tonnes truck. However, the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for the force of a down quark, indirectly affects the properties and behaviors of matter. Without the strong nuclear force, atoms would not be able to form and the world as we know it would not exist.