Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dr. Who fans: Season two begins on SciFi

1. Sep 28, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2006 #2
    is that a season behind from the uk? because i heard over hear the next season starts around christmas, not sure what season were on, but ye love dr who

4. Sep 29, 2006 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Yes, there is a temporal delay between the UK and US - in both directions. :rofl:

5. Sep 29, 2006 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, season two begins with the Christmas Invasion and David Tennant as the new Doctor.

I noticed a timely line: The PM [female] tells the US President [male] that he's not her boss and he's not going to start a war!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  6. Sep 30, 2006 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is a rare occasion that I watch TV, but this thread made me miss Dr. Who (which I hadn't seen in 20 years). I went to my neighbor's basement to see what the good Dr is up to.

Nice effects, but jeez, is there a lot of story padding or what? Did they take a half hour of no-commercial British show and stretch it into a one-hour with commercials for our "benefit"?

How many Dr.s have there been now. "Who" has been counting?

7. Sep 30, 2006 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

IIRC, the original series ended on Who #7 - the last regeneration possible. In the new series, this is #2.

One thing that I like about the new series is that we finally managed to escape the collection of planets that all look amazingly like 16th century England!!!

8. Sep 30, 2006 #7

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I had thought more than 6 regenerations were possible, they mentioned it in an episode long ago I think.

Tennant is the 10th. The tv series ended with McCoy, the seventh. There was the ill fated tv movie with Paul McGann (from "Withnail and I" fame) as the eighth doctor. It wasn't the greatest, with Julie Roberts brother portrarying The Master, but I thought McGann made a good doctor and was dissapointed it didn't turn into a series.

the new series (new to North America at least) starts on CBC on the 9th.

9. Sep 30, 2006 #8

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Both of the actors from "Withnail and I" went on to play Dr. Who . I never saw either one in the role, but that movie is one of the best films ever made.

"We've gone on holiday. By mistake."

10. Sep 30, 2006 #9

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I loved Withnail and I. Richard E. Grant was the voice of the Doctor in an animated series and played him in some kind of comedy special I've never seen. I had heard he was a candidate for the Doctor in season 1 of the new series and thought he would be excellent. Eccleston was great though. Maybe Grant will get a chance at the new series at some point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?