1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drag force of a spherical BB ammo under water

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    Basically, BB ammos were shot from an airsoft gun into a water filled tank. The experiment was recorded using a video camera. I can calculate the approximate instantaneous velocity of the bullet under water at a given time using Logger Pro.

1. Relevant equations

Drag force = 0.5 ρAC0v2

2. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have kept the density of water, ρ and the reference area, A constant.
    ρ of water = 997kg/m3
    A = ∏ rsq. ( r = 0.003 m)
    I want to calculate Coefficient of drag of a spherical ammo to find a relationship between velocity and drag coefficient.
    Secondly, the velocity of the BB ammos under water that I calculated using Logger Pro indicates a very low velocity of about 0.7-3m/s (0.2 seconds after under water). The Reynolds number comes to about 0.03

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have searched online and found that the theoretical drag coefficient of a spherical object should be 0.47.
    The low Reyonlds Number indicates that the drag coefficient is not constant.
    I am facing difficulty because I have two unknown variables, Drag force and Cd.

Another question: Can the drag force be calculated by Mass * deceleration.
    I know the mass to be 0.12g and can calculate the deceleration of the bullet...

I am also not sure if Strokes Law may apply to this experiment because the Reynolds number is really low.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2
    The context of your question is difficult to decipher.

Is this just a make-believe homework problem where we are to pretend no cavitation is involved or is it more realistic?

Was there a real experiment? Was there cavitation?

4. Oct 11, 2011 #3
    Real experiment. For my Independent research lab for IB Physics HL.

Yes there was cavitation-if u mean splash. But I am trying to ignore the physics of the bullet before or at the point of striking water. I want to concentrate only at the time when the bullet enters water and experiences drag.

I am kind of late for submittal so I don't want to ask my teacher. I did most my lab writeup with the assumption that Force of drag is Mass*deceleration. But I just realized that is unlikely. Please help :)

5. Oct 11, 2011 #4
    I'm skeptical about your Reynolds number.

In SAE units at a speed of 1 m/s = 3.281 ft/sec:

Re = rho * D * V/mu = 62.4 * .177/12 * 3.28 * 3600/2.37 = 4586

Viscosity of saturated water at 70 F = 2.37 lbm/ft-hr

6. Oct 11, 2011 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

cavitation does not mean splash

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook