Velocity of a Spherical Particle in a Viscous Liquid: Integrating Drag Force

In summary, an object moving in a liquid experiences a drag force given by D⃗ =(bv, direction opposite the motion), where b is the drag coefficient. For a sphere of radius R, the drag constant can be computed as b=6πηR, where η is the viscosity of the liquid. The x-component of velocity, vx(t), for a spherical particle of radius R and mass m that is shot horizontally with initial speed v0 through a liquid of viscosity η can be expressed as v0- (6πηRv0t)/m. However, this is not the correct approach and the correct method involves integrating the acceleration function, which is a function of velocity, not a constant. The buoy
playoff

Homework Statement

An object moving in a liquid experiences a linear drag force: D⃗ =(bv, direction opposite the motion), where b is a constant called the drag coefficient. For a sphere of radius R, the drag constant can be computed as b=6πηR, where η is the viscosity of the liquid.

Find an algebraic expression for vx(t), the x-component of velocity as a function of time, for a spherical particle of radius R and mass m that is shot horizontally with initial speed v0 through a liquid of viscosity η.
Express your answer in terms of the variables v0, η, R, t, m, and appropriate constants.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Thinking of typical dynamics, I divided the drag force, bv by m to get the acceleration. Then I subtracted acceleration times time from the inivial velocity, v0. So it looked like this:

v0- (6πηRv0t)/m.

Obviously it wasn't right, as my teacher today told me that I have to integrate the acceleration function to get the velocity function. I have no idea how to integrate the acceleration function in which it looks like every single variable are constants.

Help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi playoff! :smile:
playoff said:
… I have no idea how to integrate the acceleration function in which it looks like every single variable are constants.

no, a = dv/dt is a function of v, not a constant :wink:

Likes 1 person
Draw a free body diagram, and apply Newton's second law to the mass. Don't forget to include the buoyant force.

Chet

Likes 1 person
tiny-tim said:
hi playoff! :smile:

no, a = dv/dt is a function of v, not a constant :wink:

Ugh, I have a very shallow understanding in calculus. So if I would integrate it with v in the acceleration function, wouldn't it give me the position function in the velocity function? And the only variables I can use are v0, η, R, t, m, and appropriate constants.

Thanks for pointing it out though :D

@Chestermiller: I thought the only force acting in the x-axis is the drag force itself. Would the buoyant force also be acting against the velocity?

playoff said:
Ugh, I have a very shallow understanding in calculus. So if I would integrate it with v in the acceleration function, wouldn't it give me the position function in the velocity function? And the only variables I can use are v0, η, R, t, m, and appropriate constants.

Thanks for pointing it out though :D

@Chestermiller: I thought the only force acting in the x-axis is the drag force itself. Would the buoyant force also be acting against the velocity?
Oops. I should have read the problem statement more carefully. Sorry about that.

Chet

(just got up :zzz:)
playoff said:
… the position function in the velocity function?

i don't understand this :confused:

to integrate dv/dt = f(v),

write it dv/f(v) = dt, then integrate both sides :smile:

1. What is velocity under a drag force?

Velocity under a drag force refers to the speed at which an object is moving while experiencing resistance from the surrounding medium, such as air or water. This resistance, called drag force, can affect the velocity of the object, causing it to slow down.

2. How does drag force affect velocity?

Drag force acts in the opposite direction as the object's motion, thus reducing its velocity. As the object moves faster, the drag force also increases, causing the object to slow down even more.

3. What factors affect the drag force on an object?

The drag force on an object depends on its size, shape, and speed. Objects with larger surface areas or streamlined shapes will experience more drag force, while smaller or more aerodynamic objects will experience less drag force.

4. How is drag force calculated?

The drag force on an object can be calculated using the drag equation, which includes variables such as the object's density, velocity, and the density and viscosity of the surrounding medium.

5. How can the drag force be reduced?

The drag force on an object can be reduced by changing its shape to be more streamlined, increasing its speed, or decreasing the density or viscosity of the surrounding medium. Additionally, adding a surface coating or texture can also help reduce drag force.