Draw the secants of a curve (line?)

  • Thread starter Thread starter zeion
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Curve Line
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
zeion
Messages
455
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


An automobile's distance is given by d = 30t (t in seconds, d in metres):

"Draw the secants from the point (2, 60) to each of the points on the graph ending at t = 3, 2.5, 2.1, 1.01"

"Determine the equations of each of the secants above."

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



To my understanding, d = 30t is a line.
According to the text, "A line that intersects a curve in two places is called a secant".
How can a line have any secants?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
zeion said:
"Draw the secants from the point (2, 60) to each of the points on the graph ending at t = 3, 2.5, 2.1, 1.01"

How can a point end? :confused:
 
Uh I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it's asking me to draw the secant from (2, 60) to these points (3, d(3)), (2.5, d(2.5)), etc.

Though I still don't see the point since they're all going to overlap anyway lol.
 
zeion said:
Uh I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it's asking me to draw the secant from (2, 60) to these points (3, d(3)), (2.5, d(2.5)), etc.

Though I still don't see the point since they're all going to overlap anyway lol.

Perhaps the point is to show that for a straight line, all secant lines have the same slope.