1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drawing a Collection Of vectors Satisfying Cross Products

1. Sep 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a = <1,2,3> and b = <1,-1,-1>, sketch the collection of all position vectors c satisfying a x b = a x c

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've calculated a x b = <1,4,-3> and Defining c = <x,y,z> I found a x c = <2z-3y, z-3x, y-2x>. I want to come up with an algebraic representation of the vectors so I created the following system of equations

1 = 2z - 3y
    4 = 3x - z
    -3 = y - 2x

So x,y, and z that satisfy all three equations are a possible vector. I'm having trouble solving it, and I'm thinking I'm just going to get a single solution to this system If I do manage to solve it and it has a solution.

Can you help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are doing fine so far, I think. But if you think you will get a single solution you are jumping to conclusions. Work out the solution to your system. a x c=a x (c+k*a) for any constant k. c can't possibly be unique.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook