Drawing a free body diagram problem

In summary, the problem involves a 4.80 kg bucket of water being accelerated upward by a cord with a breaking strength of 86.0 N. The free-body force diagram for the bucket includes weight and tension forces. The maximum upward acceleration can be found by applying Newton's second law and using the weight and tension forces. The correct calculation would be 38.96N = 4.8kg * a.
Chandasouk

Homework Statement

A 4.80 kg bucket of water is accelerated upward by a cord of negligible mass whose breaking strength is 86.0 N.

Draw the free-body force diagram for the bucket.
Draw the force vectors with their tails at the dot. The orientation of your vectors will be graded. The exact length of your vectors will not be graded but the relative length of one to the other will be graded.

Okay, I calculated the weight of the bucket of water which is w = -47.04N . If I were to make a free body diagram, the vector of w would be smaller than that of the Tension correct? Am I supposed to do something with the 86 N they gave me?

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy = 86N + -47.04N = 38.96N

In this case, the vector of w would be longer than that of tension?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the weight vector should be shorter than the tension vector. I don't know why they give you 86N breaking point, unless there is more to the problem? It is not required to analyze the situation qualitatively.

Is there another part that asks you to find the maximum upward acceleration before the rope breaks?

Last edited:
Oh, wow, yeah. It says

Apply Newton's second law to the bucket and find the maximum upward acceleration that can be given to the bucket without breaking the cord.

I didn't see it until I scrolled down.

I know I have to use F=ma, but would I do

38.96N=18kg*a ?

Haha nice.

You know that the force of gravity is 47.04N downwards and the maximum tension force is 86N. Because the initial 47.04N is required to counter gravity, the rest of that 86N causes your upward acceleration. You calculated 38.96N correctly, just remember that the mass of the bucket is 4.8kg not 18kg.

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object in a given situation. It is a simplified diagram that shows only the external forces acting on the object, and helps in analyzing the motion of the object.

2. Why is it important to draw a free body diagram?

Drawing a free body diagram helps in understanding the forces acting on an object and their direction, which is crucial in solving physics problems. It also helps in identifying any missing or unknown forces that may be affecting the object's motion.

3. How do I draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, start by identifying the object and all the external forces acting on it. Then, draw a dot to represent the object and arrows to represent the direction and magnitude of each force. Make sure to label each force and use a scale to represent the magnitude accurately.

4. Can I draw a free body diagram for any type of problem?

Yes, a free body diagram can be drawn for any type of problem involving the motion of an object. It is a useful tool in solving problems related to mechanics, such as forces, motion, and equilibrium.

5. How can I use a free body diagram to solve a problem?

To solve a problem using a free body diagram, start by labeling all the forces and their directions. Then, apply Newton's Second Law and other relevant equations to analyze the motion of the object. Finally, solve for the unknown variables using algebraic methods.