Drawing Free Body Diagrams for Acceleration Problems

In summary, the student is unsure about the last equation and thinks that "force of bob" should just be T for tension. The student provides a diagram for a brick or skydiver that has just jumped out of a plane and hasn't reached terminal velocity, and shows that the gravitational force will exceed the air resistance until the object reaches terminal velocity.
MysticDude
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Draw free body diagrams:
A rectangular block being accelerated on a horizontal, frictionless surface.
A skydiver who had just jumped from a plane and hasn't reached terminal velocity.
A cube being accelerated up a 30° incline with μk > 0.
A pendulum bob that has just been released at an angle of 25° from the vertical.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure about the first three, but not so sure about the last one.
[PLAIN]http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/1808/physicsec.png

Sorry but I forgot about the theta, I'll put up the new picture soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your last diagram, what does 'normal force' refer to? And what do you mean by 'force of bob'?

Now that I think more about it, I think that "force of bob" should just be T for tension. I guess that that counteracts mg so there really is no normal in the free body diagram?

MysticDude said:
Now that I think more about it, I think that "force of bob" should just be T for tension.
Good.
I guess that that counteracts mg so there really is no normal in the free body diagram?
A normal force is a force between surfaces in contact. There's no surface touching the pendulum bob.

Doc Al said:
Good.

A normal force is a force between surfaces in contact. There's no surface touching the pendulum bob.

So it's just like:

|\
..\
...\...Tension at 25°
...\
...O
...|
...|...mg
...|
...V

Hopefully you can understand this, if not, I'll upload a picture.

MysticDude said:
So it's just like:

|\
..\
...\...Tension at 25°
...\
...O
...|
...|...mg
...|
...V

Hopefully you can understand this, if not, I'll upload a picture.
Exactly!

Doc Al said:
Exactly!
Thanks for your help!
By the way, were the other ones correct?

MysticDude said:
By the way, were the other ones correct?
They look OK. The only one I would question is the 'jumping out of the plane' one. It depends what you mean by 'just jumped'. Are you ignoring the sideways force due to the rushing air when you jump out? (Let's say forget that detail.) So assume you drop with zero initial speed with respect to the air. What's the air resistance at that first instant before picking up speed?

But these are probably nit-picking details.

Doc Al said:
They look OK. The only one I would question is the 'jumping out of the plane' one. It depends what you mean by 'just jumped'. Are you ignoring the sideways force due to the rushing air when you jump out? (Let's say forget that detail.) So assume you drop with zero initial speed with respect to the air. What's the air resistance at that first instant before picking up speed?

But these are probably nit-picking details.

Well, my teacher didn't go into too much detail about these problems. My teacher does put attention to detail sometimes though. So if the skydiver "just jumped" then there would be a the force of the air rushing against him. In other words, should it be something like this:
O--------> air force against skydiver
|
|
|
V gravitational force

, or is their another force retarding the air force against the skydiver?

MysticDude said:
In other words, should it be something like this:
O--------> air force against skydiver
|
|
|
V gravitational force
That's what I would say. The air resistance is always in the same direction as the relative motion of the air.

But if you wanted, say, the FBD for a brick (or a skydiver) that was dropped from high up with no initial speed, before it reached terminal velocity, then your diagram would be fine. Until it reaches terminal speed, the gravitational force will exceed the air resistance.

Doc Al said:
That's what I would say. The air resistance is always in the same direction as the relative motion of the air.

But if you wanted, say, the FBD for a brick (or a skydiver) that was dropped from high up with no initial speed, before it reached terminal velocity, then your diagram would be fine. Until it reaches terminal speed, the gravitational force will exceed the air resistance.

Okay thanks, you've been a big help!
I think I'm going to go without idea since it seems more reasonable.
Once again, thanks a lot!

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of an object or system and all the forces acting on it. It is used to analyze the forces and motion of an object or system.

2. Why is drawing a free body diagram important?

Drawing a free body diagram is important because it allows for a clear and organized representation of all the forces acting on an object or system. This makes it easier to analyze and understand the motion and forces involved.

3. How do you draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, start by identifying the object or system and all the forces acting on it. Then, draw a simple and clear diagram of the object or system, labeling all the forces with arrows that indicate the direction and magnitude of the force.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when drawing a free body diagram?

Some common mistakes to avoid when drawing a free body diagram include forgetting to include all the forces acting on the object or system, using incorrect arrow directions for the forces, and not labeling the forces with their corresponding symbols or variables.

5. What are some applications of drawing free body diagrams?

Drawing free body diagrams is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mechanics to analyze and study the motion and forces of objects and systems. It is also used in problem-solving and designing structures or machines.