Free body diagram of two different objects

In summary: I see. So the equation would be m1(F1 ON 2 - fk)/m2 + F2 ON 1. I assumed that the horizontal force on object 1 is nearly frictionless, since it's on wheels. So is it, F - F2 ON 1? I guess it would be incorrect to subtract fk from the horizontal force on object 1, since it's only acting on object 2. However, how does that friction force affect object 1?Oh...I see. So the equation would be m1(F1 ON 2 - fk)/m2 + F2 ON 1. I assumed that the horizontal force on object 1 is nearly frictionless, since it's on wheels. So is it
Ehden
Homework posted in wrong forum, so no template
I was wondering if anyone can provide feedback on my free body diagram of two objects acting on each other. The question is asking for two separate free body diagrams. A force is applied to object 1, and object 1 pushes against object 2. Object 1 is on wheels and object 2 is in contact with the ground. The two objects accelerate. Find the constant for the kinetic friction.

I can confidently find the constant, as long as my free body diagram is correct. But, I would like some feedback on whether it's correct it or not.

On object 2, the vertical force is in equilibrium, F2N - w2. The horizontal force is F1 ON 2 - fk.

On object 1, the vertical force is also in equilibrium F1N - w1. The horizontal force for object 1 is a bit confusing. I'm assuming it's nearly frictionless, since it's on wheels. So is it, F - F2 ON 1? I guess it would be incorrect to subtract fk from the horizontal force on object 1, since it's only acting on object 2, however how does that friction force affect object 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ehden said:
I was wondering if anyone can provide feedback on my free body diagram of two objects acting on each other. The question is asking for two separate free body diagrams. A force is applied to object 1, and object 1 pushes against object 2. Object 1 is on wheels and object 2 is in contact with the ground. The two objects accelerate. Find the constant for the kinetic friction.

I can confidently find the constant, as long as my free body diagram is correct. But, I would like some feedback on whether it's correct it or not.

On object 2, the vertical force is in equilibrium, F2N - w2. The horizontal force is F1 ON 2 - fk.

On object 1, the vertical force is also in equilibrium F1N - w1. The horizontal force for object 1 is a bit confusing. I'm assuming it's nearly frictionless, since it's on wheels. So is it, F - F2 ON 1? I guess it would be incorrect to subtract fk from the horizontal force on object 1, since it's only acting on object 2, however how does that friction force affect object 1?

Hello Dear,

I do not know if they have asked for Both Rolling Friction for Object on Wheel and Sliding Friction for Object on Ground.

But if Rolling Friction is to be Neglected then f1 = 0 will be used.

See the Picture Attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20161006_111635_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20161006_111635_HDR.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 388
Diptangshu said:
Hello Dear,

I do not know if they have asked for Both Rolling Friction for Object on Wheel and Sliding Friction for Object on Ground.

But if Rolling Friction is to be Neglected then f1 = 0 will be used.

See the Picture Attached.

Thank You for the response. At the moment, we're ignoring rolling friction. The question had a hint, "only one of the objects experiences the friction force". So I assumed, the kinetic friction is only applied to object 2. However, I feel like I'm missing something on my free body diagram for object 1.

Also, there is a force, F, being applied to object 1, and object 1 is pushing against object 2. So, if m1a = F - F2 ON 1 is true, is the force F on object 1, related to the action-reaction forces?
Two+objects+are+in+contact+a+force+is+applied+to+_a654e09acbdb41e3b4c70fdaad166284.jpg

Last edited:
Ehden said:
Thank You for the response. At the moment, we're ignoring rolling friction. The question had a hint, "only one of the objects experiences the friction force". So I assumed, the kinetic friction is only applied to object 2. However, I feel like I'm missing something on my free body diagram for object 1.

Also, there is a force, F, being applied to object 1, and object 1 is pushing against object 2. So, if m1a = F - F2 ON 1 is true, is the force F on object 1, related to the action-reaction forces?
Two+objects+are+in+contact+a+force+is+applied+to+_a654e09acbdb41e3b4c70fdaad166284.jpg

If m1a = F - F21 then F will not be in m2 but you will have to Consider acceleration of M2.

Similar to This picture.

Diptangshu said:
If m1a = F - F21 then F will not be in m2 but you will have to Consider acceleration of M2.

Similar to This picture.

The acceleration should be the same for both objects.
a = m1/(F - F2 ON 1)
a = m2/(F1 ON 2 - fk)

So F = (m1(F1 ON 2 - fk)/m2) + F2 ON 1

These equations are derived from my diagram. So is my diagram correct? Ignoring rolling friction.

Last edited:
Ehden said:
a = m1/(F - F2 ON 1)
a = m2/(F1 ON 2 - fk)

These equations are derived from my diagram. So is my diagram correct? Ignoring rolling friction.

Sorry Brother,

I could not send the picture in previous answer.
Here it is

Attachments

• TMPDOODLE1475750130475.jpg
    TMPDOODLE1475750130475.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 403
Diptangshu said:
Sorry Brother,

I could not send the picture in previous answer.
Here it is

Oh so, friction is applied to each individual system? For instance, if rolling friction is ignored, there would be no friction force on object 1, and the kinetic friction would be only present for object 2? If both objects were treated as one system, the friction force on the system would essentially be the kinetic friction from object 2 alone?

Ehden said:

The free body diagrams are fine.

Likes Ehden
Dale said:
The free body diagrams are fine.

I don't Understand, Sir.

If they are all fine... for object 2: F1 on 2 = fk = F2 on 1 (Newton's 3rd Law) = F - m1a
then, how will I take account of the fact that body of mass m2 accelerating with a.

Please help me Understand.

Ehden said:
Oh so, friction is applied to each individual system? For instance, if rolling friction is ignored, there would be no friction force on object 1, and the kinetic friction would be only present for object 2? If both objects were treated as one system, the friction force on the system would essentially be the kinetic friction from object 2 alone?

No, actually in the picture I considered Both the Frictional Resisting forces to be same as f .

But if you take individual Free Bodies and Ignore Rolling Friction, then there will be No Friction Force on the Object with Wheels in its FBD.

[and sorry for the Emoticon... I was in Hurry and my Browser somehow added that... I know you can understand even with it]

Last edited:
Diptangshu said:
for object 2: F1 on 2 = fk
I am not sure why you believe this. It is not correct. ##f_k## is the friction force and is proportional to the normal force. It does not have any particular relationship to ##F_{1on2}##

Dale said:
I am not sure why you believe this. It is not correct. ##f_k## is the friction force and is proportional to the normal force. It does not have any particular relationship to ##F_{1on2}##
But that is What Free Body Diagram of Object 2 Shows on using Equilibrium along Horizontal axis.

Diptangshu said:
on using Equilibrium
It is not in equilibrium:
Ehden said:
The two objects accelerate.

@Ehden, your diagrams are correct. I do hope that you do not get confused from this thread.

Likes Ehden
I had drawn all the Diagrams... I don't think i considered anybody is in Static Equilibrium. They are all in Dynamic Equilibrium and All Inertia Forces should be Shown.

And even if Dynamic Equilibrium is not drawn, at least accelerations with Direction is shown, which was not In diagram making it look like a Static Condition.

Ehden is Correct with his Equations and Diagrams, both.
But not with his Diagram alone.

Last edited:
Ehden said:
a = m1/(F - F2 ON 1)
a = m2/(F1 ON 2 - fk)

These Equations are Correct.

And my Apologies, if I made anything Complicated.

Diptangshu said:
They are all in Dynamic Equilibrium and All Inertia Forces should be Shown.
I dislike this approach and prefer to use an inertial frame, but regardless of whether you use an inertial or a non inertial frame you never get ##f_k=F_{1on2}##

Dale said:
@Ehden, your diagrams are correct. I do hope that you do not get confused from this thread.

Thank you for your response!

Diptangshu said:
These Equations are Correct.

And my Apologies, if I made anything Complicated.

Don't worry, a learning experience for both of us!

Also, the question was asking for free body diagram after the force is applied, so I made a mistake with object 1. There should've been three forces on object 1, as the force isn't being applied after the object is already accelerating. So from that point of view, I derived the constant.

uk = (m1a - m2a)/m2g
= (a/g) ((m1/m2) - 1)

Is my work correct?

Dale said:
I dislike this approach and prefer to use an inertial frame, but regardless of whether you use an inertial or a non inertial frame you never get ##f_k=F_{1on2}##

Yes, that is True,it never holds unless it is a Static Equilibrium.
That is why I always Prefer to Draw the accelerations when Inertial Frame is not Used, it avoids confusion.

By the way Thank you Sir, for Guidance.

Ehden said:

Also, the question was asking for free body diagram after the force is applied, so I made a mistake with object 1. There should've been three forces on object 1, as the force isn't being applied after the object is already accelerating. So from that point of view, I derived the constant.

uk = (m1a - m2a)/m2g
= (a/g) ((m1/m2) - 1)

Is my work correct?

Ehden said:

uk = (m1a - m2a)/m2g
= (a/g) ((m1/m2) - 1)

Is my work correct?

They seem to be Very correct if there is no F.

What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It helps to analyze the motion of an object by showing all the external forces acting on it.

Why is it important to draw a free body diagram for two different objects?

Drawing a free body diagram for two different objects allows us to compare and contrast the forces acting on each object. This can help us understand how different forces affect the motion of objects in different ways.

What are the steps to draw a free body diagram?

The steps for drawing a free body diagram are as follows:

• Identify the object or objects in question.
  • Draw a dot to represent the center of mass of each object.
  • Identify all the external forces acting on the object.
  • Draw arrows to represent the magnitude and direction of each force.
  • Label each force with its corresponding symbol.
  • Make sure the forces are drawn in the correct relative positions to each other.

What are some common forces that can act on two different objects?

Some common forces that can act on two different objects include gravity, normal force, friction, tension, and applied forces.

How can free body diagrams be used to solve problems?

Free body diagrams can be used to solve problems by helping to identify all the forces acting on an object and their direction. This allows us to apply Newton's laws of motion to determine the acceleration and overall motion of the object.