Driven Harmonic Oscillator: Proving that the max power is given by ω_r = ω_0

In summary, the power given by the equation \bar{P} = \frac{1}{2} \gamma m \omega_r^2 A_{(\omega)}^2 reaches a maximum when \omega_r = \omega_0. This means that the resonant frequency of the external force, \omega_r, is equal to the eigen frequency of the system, \omega_0. To find this maximum power, one can divide the numerator and denominator of the equation by \omega_{r}^2 and simplify. This approach does not require the use of calculus.
Showaddywaddy

Homework Statement

Prove that that the power given by [itex] \bar{P} = \frac{1}{2} \gamma m \omega_r^2 A_{(\omega)}^2 [/itex] is at a maximum for [itex] \omega_r = \omega_0 [/itex]

Only variable is [itex] \omega_r [/itex]

[itex] \omega_r [/itex] is the resonant frequency of the external force while [itex] \omega_0 [/itex] is the eigen frequency of the system.

Homework Equations

[tex] A_{(\omega)} = \frac{\frac{F_0}{m}}{\sqrt{{(\omega_0^2-\omega_r^2)}^2+{(\gamma \omega_r)}^2}} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have subbed in the equation for the amplitude into the equation for the power and then differentiated it and let it equal to zero to find the max power. The differentiated gets pretty messy but I still can't seem to get to the right answer that [itex] \omega_r = \omega_0 [/itex] no matter how many times I differentiate it. My notes from lectures has the proof but my lecturer has differentiated the equation in a really unusual way so I can't follow it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try dividing numerator and denominator of ##\bar{P}## by ##\omega_{r}^2## and simplifying. I don't think you'll need calculus to see the result.

What is a driven harmonic oscillator?

A driven harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits periodic oscillations when subjected to an external driving force. Examples of driven harmonic oscillators include a pendulum, a mass on a spring, and an LC circuit.

What is the significance of proving that the max power is given by ω_r = ω_0?

This proof shows that the maximum power transfer from the driving force to the oscillator occurs when the frequency of the driving force is equal to the natural frequency of the oscillator. This is important in understanding and optimizing the behavior of driven harmonic oscillators in various applications.

What is the difference between ω_r and ω_0?

ω_r is the frequency of the driving force, while ω_0 is the natural frequency of the oscillator. In order for the maximum power transfer to occur, these two frequencies must be equal.

What variables are involved in the proof of ω_r = ω_0?

The proof involves the amplitude, phase, and frequency of the driving force, as well as the mass, spring constant, and damping coefficient of the oscillator.

Why is it important to understand the behavior of driven harmonic oscillators?

Driven harmonic oscillators are important in a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, and biology. Understanding their behavior allows us to design and optimize systems that utilize oscillations, such as clocks, musical instruments, and electrical circuits.