Dry ice and acetone, endothermic?

In summary: The dissolution of CO2 in acetone is accompanied by a large reduction in volume, since the volume of the solute in the condensed phase is much smaller then that in the gas phase. This large decrease in volume differentiates the dissolution of a gas from the dissolution of a liquid.
_Anthony_
For decades I've wonder. Is there an endothermic reaction between dry ice and acetone? With ice, salt forces a phase change lowering the temperature but that doesn't seem applicable here.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
_Anthony_ said:
endothermic reaction
No. The acetone serves as a heat exchange fluid.

So then there's no chemical reaction at all, it's just heat exchange. Than you Bystander, you've confirmed what I thought.

I guess I put the question in the wrong section. Sorry about that. It was my first post.

Anthony

I would guess it also to be endothermic. After all, the dry ice also dissolves in the acetone. I once made a big mess when pouring some cold acetone still saturated with CO2 into the waste canister.

_Anthony_ said:
It identifies a Heat of Solution as a contributor to temperature reduction. So the dissolution of CO2 in acetone is endothermic. At a temperature around -78C or so, how much?
Zero for temperature difference; generally, evolution of heat for non-reactive dissolution of gases in a liquid phase. Misapplication of the phase rule, treating two phases instead of three, will result in very screwy descriptions of phenomena.

I've done a good deal of searching since I asked and have found a few morsels of information. With that and the answers here I'm back where I started, no significant consensus and conflicting explanations. I can say I've been reminded how difficult thermodynamics is and how much I've forgotten in the last 50 years.

I found this little snippet.

Analele UniversitaGii din Bucureúti – Chimie, Anul XII (serie noua), vol. I-II, pag. 197–202
Copyright © Analele UniversitaGii din Bucureti

THE SOLUBILITY OF CO2 AND N2O IN SOME C6 HYDROCARBONS AT HIGH PRESSURES

I. Gainar

"A rigorous method for the prediction of gas solubility requires a valid theory of solution but
such of theory is not available. For a semi empirical description of non-polar systems the
theory of regular solution can serve as a basis for the correlation of gas solubility"

For that purpose to consider a gas dissolved isothermally in a liquid far from its critical
temperature. The dissolution process is accompanied by a change in enthalpy and in
entropy as in the case when two liquids are mixed. The dissolution of a gas in a liquid is
accompanied by a large reduction in volume, since the volume of the solute in the
condensed phase is much smaller then that in the gas phase. This large decrease in volume
differentiates the dissolution of a gas from the dissolution of a liquid."

I've gone looking for the various heats of this and that for CO2 on the off chance that I understand. Does anyone know where I can find the relevant thermodynamic equations and maybe an example of how to solve them?

Anthony

1. What is dry ice and acetone?

Dry ice and acetone is a mixture of solid carbon dioxide (dry ice) and liquid acetone. It is commonly used in science experiments and demonstrations as it produces a thick white fog when the dry ice sublimates in the acetone.

2. Why is the mixture of dry ice and acetone considered endothermic?

The mixture of dry ice and acetone is considered endothermic because it requires energy to break the bonds between the molecules of carbon dioxide and acetone. This energy is absorbed from the surrounding environment, causing the temperature of the mixture to decrease.

3. How is the endothermic reaction of dry ice and acetone useful in scientific experiments?

The endothermic reaction of dry ice and acetone can be useful in scientific experiments as it allows for a controlled release of cold temperatures. It can be used to create a cold environment for preserving or freezing materials, or to demonstrate the principles of endothermic reactions.

4. Is the reaction between dry ice and acetone safe?

The reaction between dry ice and acetone is generally considered safe when done in a controlled environment. However, precautions should be taken as the mixture can produce a large amount of carbon dioxide gas which can displace oxygen in a confined space. It is important to work in a well-ventilated area and to handle dry ice with protective gloves.

5. Can I reuse dry ice and acetone mixture?

Yes, the dry ice and acetone mixture can be reused multiple times as long as there is still dry ice present. Once the dry ice has fully sublimated, more dry ice can be added to the remaining liquid acetone to create the fog effect again. However, the mixture should be disposed of properly once it is no longer needed, as the acetone can be hazardous to the environment if not disposed of correctly.