Temperature and the equilibrium constant

In summary, the equilibrium constant changes with temperature, and can either increase or decrease depending on the type of reaction. For endothermic reactions, an increase in temperature increases K, while a decrease in temperature decreases K. For exothermic reactions, a decrease in temperature increases K, while an increase in temperature decreases K. The direction of the shift in equilibrium also depends on the type of reaction, with endothermic reactions shifting towards the products when temperature is increased, and exothermic reactions shifting towards the products when temperature is decreased. This is known as Le Chatelier's principle.
member 392791
The equilibrium constant changes with a change in temperature, I am confused as to the directions and why Qc is behaving oppositely of what I think it does

For example, my textbook says a temperature increase favors an endothermic reaction (left to right) and a temperature decrease favors the exothermic direction (from right to left). This is ambiguous to me, I am not sure what they mean by favor, if somone can clarify.

Anyway, here is an endothermic reaction

heat + A ⇔ B + C

If you increase the temperature, the heat is treated as a reactant and it shifts from left to right, that is fine

Exothermic:

A + B ⇔ C + heat
decrease the temperature, shouldn't this shift from left to right, since the heat is treated like a concentration and it is taken away, so to make up for it more is going from left to right, yet the book says right to left.

My other concern is how the equilibrium constant changes with temperature. We had a worksheet and its says heating an endothermic equilibrium system increases K. The answer given is true, and I have 2 thoughts on this.

The first is that if you have an endothermic reaction, heating it up increases the number of the reactant side, so the denominator is bigger and K is lower. However, if you increase the temperature, equilibrium would shift to the right so now the numerator is bigger, and therefore K is bigger. I think the second statement is the correct one, but just want to confirm.

It says cooling an exothermic equilibrium increases K. That mens equilibrium shifts to the right (which contradicts my textbook from above) and the numerator is now bigger, so K is bigger.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Woopydalan said:
Exothermic:

A + B ⇔ C + heat
decrease the temperature, shouldn't this shift from left to right, since the heat is treated like a concentration and it is taken away, so to make up for it more is going from left to right, yet the book says right to left.

No, it should be favoring the products (shifting right to left). Heat is not exactly the same thing as temperature. If temperature is decreased, heat is leaving the system. The system will "maintain" its temperature by reacting to the product side to release heat.

Right ----> Left

Le Chatelier's principle.

Maybe we're reading this different, but if its favoring the products, you are saying some of the reactants are going to go to the product side. The reactants are on the left, and the products are on the right. Therefore, reactants (left) to products (right)?

Right -----> Left is backwards, my right hand is on the side where you have written left

Left -----> Right should be how you wrote it, no?

Woopydalan said:
Maybe we're reading this different, but if its favoring the products, you are saying some of the reactants are going to go to the product side. The reactants are on the left, and the products are on the right. Therefore, reactants (left) to products (right)?

Right -----> Left is backwards, my right hand is on the side where you have written left

Left -----> Right should be how you wrote it, no?

Hahah I just realized that I did write it incorrectly. I apologize.

Products are definitely favored in an exothermic reaction when temperature is decreased.

I can understand your confusion. Temperature and the equilibrium constant are closely related, and it can be confusing to understand their behavior.

First, let's clarify what is meant by "favoring" a direction in a reaction. When we say that increasing temperature favors an endothermic reaction, it means that the equilibrium will shift towards the products (right side of the equation) as more heat is added. This is because endothermic reactions absorb heat, so increasing the temperature provides more energy for the reaction to proceed in the forward direction.

On the other hand, decreasing temperature favors an exothermic reaction because the equilibrium will shift towards the reactants (left side of the equation) as heat is removed. This is because exothermic reactions release heat, so decreasing the temperature will slow down the reaction and shift the equilibrium towards the reactants.

Now, let's address your concerns about the equilibrium constant changing with temperature. You are correct in your understanding that increasing the temperature of an endothermic reaction will shift the equilibrium towards the products, making the numerator larger and increasing the value of K. Similarly, decreasing the temperature of an exothermic reaction will shift the equilibrium towards the products, also increasing the value of K.

In terms of the statements given in your worksheet, they are both correct. Heating an endothermic reaction will increase K because the equilibrium will shift towards the products, making the numerator larger. Cooling an exothermic reaction will also increase K because the equilibrium will shift towards the products, making the numerator larger.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of temperature and the equilibrium constant. It's important to remember that these concepts are closely intertwined and can be a bit tricky to grasp at first. Keep asking questions and seeking clarification, and you will continue to deepen your understanding of these important scientific principles.

1. What is the relationship between temperature and the equilibrium constant?

The equilibrium constant is a measure of how much reactants are converted to products at equilibrium. As temperature increases, the equilibrium constant also increases. This is because an increase in temperature causes reactions to occur faster, leading to a higher conversion of reactants to products at equilibrium.

2. How does temperature affect the equilibrium position?

Temperature has a direct effect on the equilibrium position. An increase in temperature favors the endothermic reaction, shifting the equilibrium towards the products. On the other hand, a decrease in temperature favors the exothermic reaction, shifting the equilibrium towards the reactants. This is known as Le Chatelier's principle.

3. Can the equilibrium constant change with temperature?

Yes, the equilibrium constant is temperature-dependent and will change with a change in temperature. This is because the equilibrium constant is a ratio of the rate constants of the forward and reverse reactions, which are affected by temperature. However, the value of the equilibrium constant will remain constant at a given temperature.

4. How does the equilibrium constant vary with different reactions?

The value of the equilibrium constant can vary significantly with different reactions. It is dependent on the stoichiometry of the reaction, the concentration of reactants and products at equilibrium, and the temperature. Some reactions may have a very high equilibrium constant, indicating a high conversion of reactants to products, while others may have a very low equilibrium constant.

5. How can temperature be used to manipulate the equilibrium constant?

Temperature can be used to manipulate the equilibrium constant by changing the equilibrium position. By increasing or decreasing the temperature, the equilibrium can be shifted towards either the reactants or the products, thus changing the value of the equilibrium constant. This can be useful in industrial processes, where a higher yield of products is desired.