Δt between consecutive frequency configurations

• Thread starter Const@ntine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary: Based on what I found previously (first post):>x = 2.13 * 10-3 s>In 1 s, the water rises by 2.13 * 10-3 m, so the Length decreases by so.>x = 2.13 * 10-3 s>It would take approximately 2.13 * 10-3 s for the Length to decrease by 1 m.It would take approximately 2.13 * 10-3 s for the Length to decrease by 1 m.
Const@ntine

Homework Statement

At a long, vertical tube, water is poured in, with an inflow R = 1.00 L/min = 1.67 * 10-5 m3/s. The radius, r = 5.00 cm. At the open end, a tuning fork is oscillating with a frequency of f = 512 Hz. What's the time difference between two consecutive configurations, while the water slowly rises?

LiyDRtGTZ7q7tBThfNA4pvBHx2vLyldSPbu4klsMvDV6EXNAx3zEjX7uKQiL8FpSPEuU1AXZCN23Dzw&owa=outlook.live.jpg

Homework Equations

f = n*v/4L

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, in this case, we have a constant f that doesn't change, an L that keeps getting shorter, and we're in a "tube with one end open, one end closed" environment.

>Volume of the water: V = π*r2*h = 7.85 * 10-3m2*h
>hstart = 0 & Lstart = max
>h keeps going up, while L keeps going "down"
>every 1s, a volume of V = 1.67 * 10-5 m3 is added. So, (using the V formula from the first >), we have h = 2.13 * 10-3 m. So the height of the water goes up by said h every 1s.

And that's where I get stuck. Initially I figured I'd say that the given f is the harmonic, put n=1, v = 343 m/s, and find the initial/max length L. But as I kept upping the ante on n (3,5,7), the L kept growing, which wasn't realistic, since it should go down. So that's one out.

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Darthkostis said:
But as I kept upping the ante on n (3,5,7), the L kept growing
Why do you assume the first resonance is at the fundamental frequency?

haruspex said:
Why do you assume the first resonance is at the fundamental frequency?
Well, at first I did so because I thought that I'd use it to find the entire length of the tube. Obviously that was wrong. I'm out of ideas though.

Darthkostis said:
thought that I'd use it to find the entire length of the tube.
But you do not need to find that.
What L values do you get for n=1, 2, 3?

haruspex said:
But you do not need to find that.
What L values do you get for n=1, 2, 3?

It's an open/closed tube, so f = n*v/4L & n = 1,3,5,7..., right?

>n = 1: L = 0.168 m

>n = 3: L = 0.502 m

>n = 5: L = 0.837 m

Darthkostis said:
It's an open/closed tube, so f = n*v/4L & n = 1,3,5,7..., right?

>n = 1: L = 0.168 m

>n = 3: L = 0.502 m

>n = 5: L = 0.837 m
So how big is each step?

haruspex said:
So how big is each step?
From 1 to 3 it's 0.334 m & from 3 to 5 it's 0.335 m.

Darthkostis said:
From 1 to 3 it's 0.334 m & from 3 to 5 it's 0.335 m.
Within rounding error, they're the same, right? Can you generalise to the step from n to n+1?
Can you relate those distance steps to the time intervals?

haruspex said:
Within rounding error, they're the same, right?

My problem is that if I go higher (5, 7, 9), then the steps change a bit. From 5 to 7 it's 0.333. From 7 to 9 it's 0.331. I guess it's to be attributed to the rounding error, but there is a difference.

haruspex said:
Can you generalise to the step from n to n+1?

Something like this?

>fn = n*v/4Ln
>fn+1 = (n+1)*v/4Ln+1
>fn = fn+1

I'm a bit stuck on that.

Darthkostis said:
fn = n*v/4Ln
The frequency is fixed.

haruspex said:
The frequency is fixed.
Yeah, it's stable, 512 Hz, right? I factored that in (fn = fn+1) and ended up with Ln+1 = ((n+1)/n)*Ln

Darthkostis said:
ended up with Ln+1 = ((n+1)/n)*Ln
True, but not as useful as finding Ln+1-Ln.

haruspex said:
True, but not as useful as finding Ln+1-Ln.
Well, in that case: Ln+1 - Ln = Ln/n

Darthkostis said:
Well, in that case: Ln+1 - Ln = Ln/n
Still not that useful. Try to get an expression that has no L term on the right. It will have v.

haruspex said:
Still not that useful. Try to get an expression that has no L term on the right. It will have v.
Yeah, I forgot about that: f = n*v/4*Ln <=> Ln = n*v/4*f || So we have: Ln+1 - Ln = (n*v/4*f)*(1/n) = v/4*f = 343 m/s / 4*512 Hz = 0.167 m

Darthkostis said:
Yeah, I forgot about that: f = n*v/4*Ln <=> Ln = n*v/4*f || So we have: Ln+1 - Ln = (n*v/4*f)*(1/n) = v/4*f = 343 m/s / 4*512 Hz = 0.167 m
Right. How long will it take for the air column to change in length by that mch?

haruspex said:
Right. How long will it take for the air column to change in length by that mch?
Based on what I found previously (first post):

In 1 s, the water rises by 2.13 * 10-3 m, so the Length decreases by so.
How much time, x, do we need for the Length to change by 0.167 m ?

By doing the Rule of Three I end up with 78.4 s, which is about half of the book's answer (158 s).

Darthkostis said:
Based on what I found previously (first post):

How much time, x, do we need for the Length to change by 0.167 m ?

By doing the Rule of Three I end up with 78.4 s, which is about half of the book's answer (158 s).
Sorry, I did not check this equation:
Darthkostis said:
f = n*v/4L
That is not right for a half open tube.

haruspex said:
Sorry, I did not check this equation:

That is not right for a half open tube.
Isn't it a tube with one end closed, and one end open? The top is the open part, and the bottom is the closed one. That's what my book has, with n being able to take the values of 1,3,5,7...

Darthkostis said:
Isn't it a tube with one end closed, and one end open? The top is the open part, and the bottom is the closed one. That's what my book has, with n being able to take the values of 1,3,5,7...
Oh ok, if that is how n is being defined... But you took consecutive values as n, n+1 instead of n and n+2.

haruspex said:
Oh ok, if that is how n is being defined... But you took consecutive values as n, n+1 instead of n and n+2.
Oh yes, darn it. Yeah, rookie mistake. Taking that into account:

>fn = n*v/4Ln
>fn+2 = (n+2)*v/4Ln+2
>fn = fn+2

Ln+2 - Ln = 2/n * nv/4f = 2v/4f = v/2f = 343 m/s / 2*512 Hz = 0.335 m

Following the Rule of Three, same as before:

How much time, x, do we need for the Length to change by 0.335 m ?

And so we get x = 157.3 s || A bit off from the book's answer, but that's due to all the multiplications/divisions, Significant Digits and whatnot.

Thanks a ton for the help and the patience!

1. What is "Δt between consecutive frequency configurations"?

"Δt between consecutive frequency configurations" refers to the time interval or gap between two consecutive changes in the frequency of a signal or wave. This can be observed in various scientific phenomena, such as in the modulation of radio signals or the oscillation of particles in a wave.

2. How is "Δt between consecutive frequency configurations" measured?

The measurement of "Δt between consecutive frequency configurations" can be done using various methods, depending on the specific system or phenomenon being studied. In general, it involves calculating the time difference between two consecutive changes in frequency, which can be done using specialized equipment or mathematical formulas.

3. Why is "Δt between consecutive frequency configurations" important in scientific research?

"Δt between consecutive frequency configurations" is important because it can provide valuable information about the behavior and characteristics of a signal or wave. By studying the time intervals between frequency changes, scientists can better understand the underlying mechanisms and patterns of various natural phenomena.

4. Can "Δt between consecutive frequency configurations" be manipulated or controlled?

In some cases, "Δt between consecutive frequency configurations" can be manipulated or controlled by adjusting certain parameters or variables in a system. This can be useful in experiments or technological applications where precise timing and synchronization of frequency changes are necessary.

5. How does "Δt between consecutive frequency configurations" relate to other concepts in science?

The concept of "Δt between consecutive frequency configurations" is closely related to other concepts in science, such as frequency, wavelength, and time. It is also relevant in fields such as physics, engineering, and telecommunications, as it involves the study of waves and their properties.