DTFT vs the spectrum of a sampled signal

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
CoolDude420
Messages
199
Reaction score
9

Homework Statement


Hi,

So we started sampling/sampling theorem, dirac delta, DTFT in a digital signal processing module and I'm kinda confused. I understand how to derive the following formulae but these two formulae are so different to each other that I don't understand why?

We are first told that the spectrum of the sampled signal is,
5a20bef40f.png

I completely understand where this comes from (the whole dirac delta part/sifting property and FT property). Okay all makes sense now. Then we are introduced to the DTFT and again I understand the derivation but the result is really different,

ae49470c2c.png


Now, how can these two things be equal to each other? I mean in both cases, we were deriving the frequency spectrum of the sampled signal. Why are the answers so different?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Attachments
  • 5a20bef40f.png
    5a20bef40f.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 600
  • a626000d7b.png
    a626000d7b.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 627
  • ae49470c2c.png
    ae49470c2c.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 642
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
You understand what ## e^{jθ} ## represents? It is ## cosθ + j sinθ ##. The fn coefficients are such that the complex terms cancel out so that you have a real signal.

I don't mean to be rude, I'm just trying to figure what you know.
 
scottdave said:
You understand what ## e^{jθ} ## represents? It is ## cosθ + j sinθ ##. The fn coefficients are such that the complex terms cancel out so that you have a real signal.

I don't mean to be rude, I'm just trying to figure what you know.

So essentially these two are equivalent? Would I be right in saying that the first equation is sort of good for illustration purposes and the second one helps in leading to the DFT for actually calculating?