Oversampling/undersampling of a continuous time signal and preventing aliasing

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of sampling and its relationship to the maximum frequency component of a signal. It was mentioned that in order to get the analog signal back after sampling, the sampling rate must be at least twice the maximum frequency. Oversampling was also discussed and it was noted that it provides more information about the continuous signal but can be considered wasteful. The conversation also touched on the topics of undersampling and aliasing, as well as the use of low pass filters to prevent aliasing.
Jncik
Hi everyone, I want to understand how these concepts work.

Suppose that we have a signal x(t) which has a maximum frequency component of 3 Hz. So let the DTFT of this signal be like that:

[PLAIN]http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/1134/31096081.png

Also let y[n] be the digital signal that we get from sampling on x(t).

If we want to be able to get the analog signal back, after the sampling, we need to sample with a rate of 6 Hz. I think until here we're correct.

Let's suppose that we sample with a rate of 8 Hz. The new DTFT will be like that:

[PLAIN]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/1138/60749513.png

Now, oversampling typically gives us more information about the continuous signal which is pretty much useless, because we're basically using more power in order to get a result that would be possible to get with less resources(less sampling frequency).

1. Question about oversampling.
Why is it that if I sample with EXACTLY 2FMAX frequency, in this case 6 Hz the space between the two periodic components is becoming less and less? Why is that changing? See this DTFT for 6 Hz:

[PLAIN]http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/2876/53245096.png Let's go on under sampling. If I sample with a frequency of 4 Hz I will get a DTFT like that:

[PLAIN]http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/3771/36854781.png

2. Question about undersampling.
We can see that the frequencies kind of collude each other, so for example for the frequency of 3 we have an amplitude of zero or something else, so basically this is what's called aliasing right?

3. Question about anti-aliasing with a low pass filter.

If I use a low pass filter for a continuous time signal before applying the sampling method, how would that prevent me from getting an aliased result? A low pass filter let's some frequency components to pass, and others just disappear, so how would I use that in order to prevent aliasing? Sorry for my english, thanks a lot :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sampling is essentially multiplying your input (sine) signal of frequency f by a time sequence of delta functions. It's very straightforward to determine the Fourier series of such a pulse train. It contains a dc term and integer multiples of the sampling frequency F, all of equal amplitude.

Thus, when you sample an input signal f with a sampling signal F you get sum & difference frequency outputs. So, taking each sampling frequency component one at a time we get:
dc term --> (f+0) and (f-0) = f --> wanted at output
F --> (F-f) and (F+f) --> neither one wanted
2F --> (2F-f) and (2F+f) --> neither one wanted
etc.

So you see that the lowest output component is (F-f). If F is exactly 2f the lowest aliased component is at f. If we make F < 2f we get band overlaps since then a signal at f shows up at < f. If F > 2f the distance between the bands increases, with the distance between bands now > 0.

If we sample at F = 2f and post-filter at a cutoff frequency of F = 2f we get only dc to f at the output, thus reconstructing the input signal perfectly.

Since there is no such thing as a perfect cutoff filter, we need F > 2f to allow for the fact that the filter rolls off its gain gradually. So it's not only not a waste to sample at > 2f but an absolute necessity.

(There is such a thing as deliberate undersampling to reduce a high signal frequency to a more manageable level but let's not go into that now).

1. What is oversampling and undersampling of a continuous time signal?

Oversampling and undersampling are two techniques used in signal processing to increase or decrease the sampling rate of a continuous time signal. Oversampling involves taking more samples of a signal than the Nyquist sampling rate, while undersampling involves taking fewer samples than the Nyquist rate.

2. Why is preventing aliasing important in signal processing?

Aliasing occurs when a signal is undersampled, resulting in the loss of high frequency information and the introduction of false frequencies in the reconstructed signal. Preventing aliasing is important in order to accurately represent the original signal and avoid distortion.

3. How does oversampling prevent aliasing?

Oversampling increases the sampling rate, allowing for a higher frequency information to be captured and reducing the chance of aliasing. This is because the Nyquist rate is based on the highest frequency component of a signal, so by increasing the sampling rate, we can capture a wider range of frequencies.

4. What are some methods for preventing aliasing in undersampled signals?

One method is to use an anti-aliasing filter before sampling the signal, which removes high frequency components that may cause aliasing. Another method is to use a higher order interpolation or reconstruction technique to reconstruct the signal from the undersampled data.

5. How does the choice of sampling rate affect the quality of a signal?

The choice of sampling rate is crucial in determining the quality of a signal. A sampling rate that is too low can result in aliasing, while a sampling rate that is too high can lead to unnecessary data and increased processing requirements. Therefore, the sampling rate should be carefully chosen to balance between capturing enough information and avoiding unnecessary data.