Dual Nature of Photon (and such particles) - WHY?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of wave-particle duality in quantum particles, specifically focusing on photons. The question of why quantum particles have both wave and particle nature is posed, and the response is that the full theory explains when and why this is the case. The example of Schroedinger's equation for a free particle is given as a wave-like solution and the underlying mathematical principles are referenced.
Abishek
I know that photons and other particles of comparatively smaller dimension show dual nature. But why? Can someone help me? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Why the idea was proposed?
Or how the experimental data suggest/confirm that?
Or what is the underlying theory that gives rise to wave-particle duality?

Which one is the meaning of your "why" ?

Macroscopic entities also have wave-like properties, as a literature search will show. Whys about nature are teleologic.

Abishek said:
I know that photons and other particles of comparatively smaller dimension show dual nature. But why? Can someone help me? :confused:

You mean the so called wave particle duality?

Surprisingly the answer is they don't - the wave particle duality is simply a concept from popularisations and beginning texts - see our FAQ:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/is-light-a-wave-or-a-particle.511178/

Its really quantum stuff.

What's quantum stuff - I think the following is a good place to start on that interesting lifelong journey:
http://www.scottaaronson.com/democritus/lec9.html

Thanks
Bill

Likes ShayanJ
bhobba said:
You mean the so called wave particle duality?

Surprisingly the answer is they don't - the wave particle duality is simply a concept from popularisations and beginning texts - see our FAQ:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/is-light-a-wave-or-a-particle.511178/

Its really quantum stuff.

What's quantum stuff - I think the following is a good place to start on that interesting lifelong journey:
http://www.scottaaronson.com/democritus/lec9.html

Thanks
Bill

Thank you for your reply, but are you saying that photons do not have dual nature?

Last edited by a moderator:
Photons are quantum objects that have their own single nature. They act in some ways that are reminiscent of classical particles, and in other ways that are reminiscent of classical waves.

Do you know the tale about the blind men and the elephant?

Likes TrickyDicky, vanhees71 and bhobba
no
jtbell said:
Photons are quantum objects that have their own single nature. They act in some ways that are reminiscent of classical particles, and in other ways that are reminiscent of classical waves.

Do you know the tale about the blind men and the elephant?
No...

One felt a leg and likened the elephant to a tree. Another felt the tail and likened the elephant to a rope. The third felt something and likened it to something else. All were correct, and none had any idea what an elephant looked like or was.

OK, so a photon has many characteristics, I get it... My point being, why quantum particles have both wave as well as particle nature? Is there any boundaries for this characteristic?

Abishek said:
OK, so a photon has many characteristics, I get it... My point being, why quantum particles have both wave as well as particle nature? Is there any boundaries for this characteristic?

The full theory tells you when and why.

For example the solution of Schroedinger's equation for a free particle is wave-like. Why? Its just the way the math works. Why the math - see the first three chapters of Ballentine:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9814578584/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the dual nature of photon?

The dual nature of photon refers to the fact that photons, which are particles of light, exhibit both wave-like and particle-like properties. This means that they can behave like waves, with properties such as interference and diffraction, as well as particles, with properties such as momentum and energy.

2. Why do photons have a dual nature?

The dual nature of photons is a consequence of quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles on a very small scale. According to quantum mechanics, particles can exist as both waves and particles, and the behavior of a particle is determined by its wave function.

3. How was the dual nature of photon discovered?

The dual nature of photon was first discovered by Albert Einstein in his explanation of the photoelectric effect in 1905. This phenomenon showed that light can behave like particles, with discrete packets of energy (photons) being emitted when light is shone on a metal surface. Later experiments, such as the double-slit experiment, further confirmed the wave-particle duality of photons.

4. What are the implications of the dual nature of photon?

The dual nature of photon has significant implications in fields such as quantum mechanics, optics, and electronics. It has led to the development of technologies such as lasers, which utilize the wave-like properties of photons, as well as devices such as photodiodes, which use the particle-like properties of photons to detect light.

5. Can other particles also exhibit a dual nature?

Yes, other particles, such as electrons and protons, also exhibit a dual nature. This is known as wave-particle duality and is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. However, the specific properties and behaviors of each particle's dual nature may differ due to their different masses and charges.